Sianara Netburst: AMDs mainstream entrance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaara

Fully Optimized
For details on Intels new architecture planned for Q1 2006, please read this.

Mmmhmmm, for some time now it's been known that Intel has plans of dropping the Pentium 4 Netburst Architecture and reducing pipeline length after the success of the Banias Pentium M, but how will this effect the market?

As visitors to this forum have demonstrated time and time again, AMD and it's $1000 2.8GHz FX-57 looks weak next to a 3.8GHz Intel. Intel has been marketing and pushing for higher clock speeds and longer pipelines for nearly six years now, and the general understanding the consumer has when it comes to computers is bigger is better.

However, in 2006 when Intel reverts all processors to shorter pipeline cores, they'll gain more IPC and perform better, consume less power, and give out less heat. But what will your average consumer think of this? What will someone think of upgrading a 3.4GHz to a 3GHz one? Will AMD start to look better?

I agree that Intel needs a fresh start and I like what they're doing dropping Netburst, and I give them credit since they risk making AMD look much more competetive now when comparing the two, especially with a lawsuit riding them. In addition, Q1 next year AMD will introduce its DDR2 based M2 platform powered by new mutlicore processors so they'll both be using the same technology basically.

Food for thought

Psht, you disgrace anime and your love for japan! Whats this "Sianara" crap...it's sayounara fo0lio!

As visitors to this forum have demonstrated time and time again, AMD and it's $1000 2.8GHz FX-57 looks weak next to a 3.8GHz Intel.
Since when has this been the case.....what Intel processor are we talking about exactly that is considerably more powerful than the FX-57?

Wasnt it the FX-55 that required an Intel to be clocked up to 5GHz before it could even compete with the exception of multitasking or encoding

Since when has this been the case.....what Intel processor are we talking about exactly that is considerably more powerful than the FX-57?
No, I'm not actually suggesting that the FX-57 is in any way "weak", what I'm saying is to the untrained eye, it looks weak.

While I agree Intel needs this transition and I quite like the look of this new architecture, they're going to start losing consumers who looked at the raw clock speed of a processor rather than the IPC it is capable of. A $1000 2GHz pentium makes the FX-57 look like a much better choice to the untrained eye once Intel decreases clock cycles and increases IPC

Damn. So Intels getting back in the game...

They say those new procs will go as high as 3GHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom