Gaming system

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking of getting the X2 4200 do you think this would do better than the single core AMD 63 3700 San Diego? And do you have any evidence to back this up. Thanks.

Just think of it this way RedUK. You will be running all background applications (like Windows) on one of the processors, leaving you a full 2.2GHz processor to run the game So it will perform on gaming the same as another 2.2GHz AMD processor (which is on the same level as as the 3700+ San Diego). You also get all the multi tasking abilites of the processor, and it is way more future proof in terms of gaming (due to dual core gaming about to take off). So if you have enough money to buy either a 4200, or a single core from AMD, then there is no competition really.

The only single core that challenges the X2s is the FX series (which having a starting price of around £550) and they will outdate themselves quickly.

Personally, your setup before sounded awesome, and I wouldn't change to go back to a single unless you can afford the FX series (which if you can, you might aswell go for an X2 4800 which will perform around the same level, but has the advantage of multi tasking).

Technically for a gaming cpu, If you have a crap ton of money FX is the way to go ATM(very pricey way too). But when software starts supporting dual pros FX is gonna be outdated so you will need to move to dual core anyways.
x2 4200 is better than 3700 san diego. The issues is x2 vs FX :p

They don't really slate the X2 range, they just point out that gaming could be better on a ingle core processor. But what gets me is the fact that in ALL of the tests, the 3500 doesn't beat the 4200. But as everyone keeps saying, dual core gaming is just about to take off, and tht is where these X2s will thrive.

I don't like this :(. I want a list of CPUs each of them going up in order of how good it is. I want to know for certain what is better and what is worse. It seems to me what you gain on the swings you lose on the roundabouts (As a wise man once said).

I want a kick-ass CPU. One that can crunch through todays games at amazing speeds and be able to run every game that comes out in the next 6 or so months on the highest settings (When coupled with a Geforce 7800GTX :D).

But what happens if Duel core gaming doesn't take off like they expected..I mean 64-bit technology is not really being used yet.

If the AMD 64 X2 4200+ can perform as good as the AMD 64 3700 San Diego or AMD 64 4000+ San Diego in gaming then without a doubt I will get it...otherwise I am tied.

P.S

Also could you tell me the difference between ATX 2.0 and ATX 2.01... Furthermore it says that the Geforce 7800GTX requires 26A on the 12v rail..however the Enermax has to 12v rails each 18A is this ok?

Well everyone I talk to to and all the reviews I read on gaming in the future all state that dual core gaming will be huge soon. I mean games are already starting to use the technology (an example is FEAR), and I've heard it makes a huge difference.

Personally, my advice would be to get the X2 and use it as a gaming processor. I mean even the article on the new X2s you gave me showed that the 4200 out performed the single core on gaming, so I don't really know why your still asking whether to get one or not.

I really feel the way technology is moving and the fact that some games are already dabbing arou8nd with dual cores, its stupid to not get one to be futureproof

Because it means I have to go down from a 600w Enermax PSu to a 535w Enermax PSU... And I don't want to burn my house down or destroy my new build. If I know it will be ok with that PSU then I will go ahead. Otherwise I will be aprehensive.

Can you tell me the difference between ATX 2.0 and ATX 2.01?

i believe atx 2.0 is a 24 pin power connector. and 2.01 is SLi ready? which is a 24 pin. im not sure. kind of infering here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom