Sempron 64 or Athlon XP 3000+

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceware

In Runtime
Would the Socket 754 AMD Sempron 64 2600+ @ 1.6GHz with 128k cache be better than an AMD Athlon XP 3000+ @2185MHz With 512K cache ?

The reason I ask is because I have a socket 754 motherboard and Sempron 64 2600+ spare and would like to know if I should replace my XP 3000+ with it.

This is indeed a tough question, the Sempron is faster clock for clock compared to the Athlon XP due to the HTT bus, but I don't know if that is enough to compensate for the lost cache size.

I believe the Athlon takes this

Would the Sempron still be slower if I were to overclock it to 2GHz ?

I think it would then be running at the same speed as a Sempron 3300+.

Shumway said:
I have my sempron 2600+ running @ 2Ghz and it say's it score's higher than a xp 3200 in the sandra bench mark's :confused:

why is that a :( :confused: is that a :) cause its cheaper and better then the xp? but only 128 cache not 512

PZEROFGH said:
why is that a :( :confused: is that a :) cause its cheaper and better then the xp? but only 128 cache not 512

No idea :confused: I just ran the test's a couple more time's and they keep jumping up and down in score's now :angry: I'll have to clean my pc up and run it a couple more time's and see what i can get for a average.

Shumway, are you running the Sandra memory bandwidth benches?

As I said, the HTT bus will give the Sempron a huge edge in the memory bandwidth department and is almost double the speed of the XP barton (3.2GB/sec vs. 6.4GB/sec). Mind you, your memory is actually holding your Sempron back even more

Oh wait, your 2600+ is socket A though, isn't it? I should point out that only Semprons on the AMD64 platform will have the HTT bus. Your memory is fine, but that still doesn't explain the higher benchmarks =/

Lets see...

less cache, but better memory bandwidth (sempron)
more cache, but less memory bandwidth (barton)

It's hard to say really. My bets would be on the sempron 64.

gaara said:
Shumway, are you running the Sandra memory bandwidth benches?

Nope i'm running the Arithmetic and Multi-Media test's.

gaara said:
Oh wait, your 2600+ is socket A though, isn't it? I should point out that only Semprons on the AMD64 platform will have the HTT bus. Your memory is fine, but that still doesn't explain the higher benchmarks =/

My Sempron is the s754 but i'm not too sure if it's the 64bit,The first time i did the test's it was a totally fresh build with no clutter and nothing hogging up resource's or the like's,I just done them again after a little cleaning and they really aren't too far off but they have droped :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom