Gaming system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha, awesome!! Well make sure your benchmark it and tell me how it goes!

Hope everything I've said has helped you in anyway!

EDIT: I've just realised how similar our setups are now looking!!

RedUK said:
Huzzah! I did it. Tell me what you think.

AMD Athlon64 X2 4200 512K Retail
Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLi nForce4
Warrior Gamers Case - Black (Y1A)
Corsair Value Select 2x512MB PC3200
80GB Maxtor DiamondMax+9 133/7200
16X Samsung DVD-ROM Black
XFX GeForce 7800GTX 256MB PCI-E
17" Iiyama Vision Master 1403 Black
3½" Silver Floppy Drive
Enermax Noisetaker 535W ATX V2.0

EDIT:

£1292 :D (damn my love for the number 2!)

NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!

DONT GO WITH XFX< GO WITH LEADTEk, OR BFG,

hope your not OCing

i thought you didnt want to go with SLI
anyways thats all i wanted tos ay, your going to have troubles with the XFX

ALSO SHOULD HAVE WENT WITH A TOLDEDO CORE WITH 2MB CACHE NOT JUST 1MB THEN THERES NO USE OF GETTING AN X2

Don't listen to him RedUK, he's always going on about how XFX are rubiish. It's just because they are more setup over here than in the US, and basically eVGA are their American equivalent, and eVGA are highly rated in the US (like XFX are rated over here in the UK). XFX are fine, I mean there's not much difference when a company factory oveclocks a card because you can just go over the top on that overclock anyway.

And you can't get a bloody Toldeo core on the 4200 X2's, you can only get them on the 4400s, and 4800s! It's called the Manchester core on the 4200s and 4600s!

Also, you can't get 2MB of chache on the 4200, it maxes out at 1Mb anyways on the Manchester core.

Stop slating XFX and other companies that you have 'poor opinions' of, and actually give some advice on why he shouldn't choose them (hopefully backed up with evidence) rather than just not choosing them because of your 'gut instinct'.

Thank you :)

EDIT: The retail 512Kb L2 Cache models overclock way better than their 1Mb counterparts by the way.

thats why im saying to upgrade to the 4400 you tard, you get the better 2MB cache, and a faster processor. which 1mb cache is better then 2 if you knew that, well fine you can have your problems with XFX

and XFX doe snot equal eVGA

eVGA over there equals leadtek or gigabyte

Indeed XFX is more setup within the UK and due to the fact that the machine comes with both a one year onsite warranty and then manufacturers warranties I am sure everything will be ok.

Further more I can only just manage to afford an AMD 64 X2 4200 no chance in even looking at the 4400.

One more thing about your comment "There is no use of getting an X2"... This makes no sense what-so-ever! It has two corse each running at 2.2Ghz with a 512kb cache. I can run a game on one core while running windows apps in the backgoround, as soon as games utilise mulithreading it will be able to beat most single core CPUs. Your trying to say all the pros of a X2 CPU are suddenly void when you have a 512kb cache on each core? Makes no sense.

Also I doubt I will overclock..I might do a little but with stock cooling and some case fans just to tweak a few MHz. Is that a problem?

Finally what is your problem with XFX?

Exactly!! Just because we don't have the 2Mb cahce does make out dual core's obsolete. People have a budget aswell, and just because they can't afford the 4400 does not defeat the point in getting a dual core.

Anyone who has actually any sense in the matter would have gone for the 3800+ and got it past a 4800 stock by a long way. But as neither me or RedUK are overclockers, and we don't have water cooling, or LN2 cooling , or anything other form of extreme cooling, I doubt we'd be pushing our machines to the limit. I mean if I was going to overclock, I wouldn't go out and buy a brand new dual core processor, as you can pick up one second hand for half the price and not worry about breaking the warranty.

Again, you've slated XFX but has (of yet) come up with any evidence of why we shouldn;t go with them?? I'm not having a go at you PZEROFGH, but I hate it when someone puts down a company with no real reason. Like I said before, XFX were the first company to create the 490/1300 7800GTX model, so they must be doing something right.

ok, why dont you just ask a couple of other people about XFX.

XFX vs Leadtek.

and how long is the manufacturers warranty? lifetime? 10 years? 5 years?

Yeah I understand where you're coming from, but like we've said, we won't be overclocking, and even if we do it will be very little amounts. Most of my friends have had XFX geForce cards before, and they've always been 100% fine for the duration of their lifetime until they upgrade. I feel the only time a warranty comes into play is when YOU do something to put it into dispute. And even if we were overclocking, it breaks the warranty as soon as you overclock, so I doubt the card will break with stock settings.

But if it breaks, so be it. I'll have to test out their warranty terms! It'll be on my head.

How does the X2 64 4200 do when gaming? Will I be able to run games like Age of Empires 3 and Elder scrolls Oblivion on it with full setting when coupled with a 7800GTX and not experience slow down?

I have read a few reviews that have concluded that the X2 CPU is great if you are a multi-task fanatic but for gaming it's not worth paying that amount of money, basically you should just go for a high end single core.

I will only be using this PC for about 3 years for gaming...I'm leaning towards single core again.

fx will out perform x2 currently by a little. Not enough to not be prepared for when software supports dual cores which could be soon. It will be no competition then, plus you can multitask and run utility programs like a beast compared to fx.
the difference in games is minimal:
http://common.ziffdavisinternet.com/util_get_image/9/0,1425,sz=1&i=97163,00.gif

it basically destroys fx in every other aspect(except divx encoder or something)
article: http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1813762,00.asp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom