installing OS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: can't find CD drive

motley said:
Thank you guys for your replies. Unfortunately the computer doesn't recognise the CD drive although I can put a CD in it. If u could tell me how to set the BIOS I would be extremely grateful.
kind regards
motley

How old is the motherboard and CD Rom?

I have seen some problems with Pre- Pentium II Motherboard are not recongising the newer 52x CDRoms.

At work, bossman got me hunting around for ANY CD Rom that is lower that 52x as we have about 10x Compaq P-166 to P-200 boxes with no CD Roms in them. And if we put in any thing new in there, the motherboard refused to reconised them.
However, once we get a Windows OS on there, then they detect.

Otherwise, take your hard drive out of this box and put in into another (with OS and CDRom).
FDisk it,
Format it,
The copy all the files from the Win98\ folder on your Win98 CD.
Then put the hard drive back into the computer.
Boot up into DOS.
Then type in C:\Win98\setup.exe

It should install after that.

thats because win98SE is not a bootable CD. get a win98 or winME startup disk. boot from floppy, the startup disk will load generic cd-rom drivers. you are set to go

ekÆsine said:
thats because win98SE is not a bootable CD. get a win98 or winME startup disk. boot from floppy, the startup disk will load generic cd-rom drivers. you are set to go

Strange. All the Windows 98 SE disk that I have in my "Bag Of Tricks" (CD wallet that I bring over when I service computers), are to be bootable.
However, i do keep a boot disk handy.

TWO THINGS THERE.....

1. This is the from one of the new copy of of MS Windows 98 SE (OEM). I do remember having to contantly carry my Win98 Boot disk a few year back as I don't think they were bootable then.

2. BIOS Setting. Make sure that the motherboard BIOS is programmed to boot off the CD Rom. Most old BIOS either :-
a. do not have this function
b. do have this function, but it not as default.

And in failing everything, there is www.bootdisk.com.

Thanks guys for your input. The computer is old; 188? It has a hex speed CD rom drive which is not recognised, although it was showing up before I reformatted. Really not sure what to do now.
kind regards
motley:(

hmmmmm.... sounds like the CDRom drive itself as given up the ghost.

Before giving up, you did try the boot disk from http://www.24by7.ca/files/boot98se.exe ??

Otherwise, check out the local store that sells Computer Junk. They would have an older CD-Rom Drive.

Failing everything else. Remove the hard drive and copy your windows Cab files on the hard drive. Then install from the files on the hard drive.

did you fdisk or just attempt a format? you should really do a FFR prior to installing any new software. Let me know if you need to know how to do this.

Thanks Chief for your input.

This is an old computer I have & I thank you for any assistance you can provide. I dont' know much at all and certainly not what you asked. I just formatted the HD. When I try and load the Windows 98SE CD it tells me it can't make temp dir? Have to something or rather. Perhpas that's where your info fits in?
Any advice gratefully accepted.
kind regards
motley

zerozero said:
You have to change the load priority on your BIOS so that your computer will look to your CD-ROM before your HDD.
You can also load it using a formatted system diskette if you have one available.
Depending on your BIOS, load priority may be located in different place. If you post some specs, we'll be able to help you better.

if it is enabled (or even bootable for that matter) it will automatically be selected if there is no OS on the HDD

mikesgroovin said:
Thats the thing dude.....we are here to help him. This IS a tech forum. I, personally, will try and provide enough help to get motley's system up and running JUST to prove you incorrect. (And because we care). I know that I will have people backing me up here that will help him also.

tru dat, im a professional PC technician, so I feel that I might konw just alittle bit about installing an OS :p AND as i spend 99% of the time on the phone walking people through PC problems, i feel i can convey it pretty good (altogh at times i do use SMS and connect to their PC and take over)

Thanks guys for your support. the BIOS is Award Modular BIOS.
Took someone's advice and called the professional techie and now find I have lost my HDD's! If someone can tell me how to get them back I would be grateful! The CD Rom drive iss working ok now.
kind regards to all.
motley:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom