fanless cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.

faze

Solid State Member
Hello,
I got a 2GHz celeron cpu with the crappy fan that came with it. I was wondering if the heatsink alone would provide adequate cooling. What I was thinking was unplugging the fan and just using the heatsink as the source of cooling.

Thanks!

ummm I'm not just trying it. I would be risking possibly frying my cpu???

Other suggestions people.

Lol, no. If its a crappy fan then get a new heatsink. Don't turn on your PC until the new one is in.

i tried it once on an old pc..lol..it worked for about 1 hr then just shut down...it kept shutting down...never worked after that..lol

a crapy fan is better then no fan at all... Any air movement helps. Do you atleast have a case fan? Cuz if you take the CPU fan off and there is no air movement inside the case from a case fan then its not really getting any cooling at all even with a heatsink and its gona fry.

Like someone else said, get a new better heatsink/fan for the CPU if the stock is so crappy, thats kinda the reason they make better ones.

And whats so crappy about the fan? Is it real noisy or somethin? Cuz if it isnt noisy and its just a slow, low CFM fan then removing it is only going to make the situation even worse.

On my dell the the processor only has a heatsink and no fan. But the rear case fan has ducting on it that comes out and covers the heatsink so that all the air sucked thru the case has to go over the heatsink to exit the case.

ok, what kind of fan would you suggest? I want to spend under 20 bucks (not including shipping costs)

What kind of heat sink do you have?
What size fan do you need?
Look on frozencpu.com or newegg.com for fans. Your best bet would be to replace the heatsink and fan combo.

Zalman heatsink and fan $21.49 and $4.99 for shipping at newegg.com.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118103

Never run your cpu without a heatsink and always have a way of moving the air around your heatsink. You need a fan always!

If you leave your fan off, you will regret it :D.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835186127

I'm a silent computing nut. Here's a similar model to what I have, and I love it. I went from stock AMD cooling, to an Vantec AeroFlow, to watercooling (120MM Titan), and finally to a Arctic Cooling CS2M. They don't make my model anymore, but if you can, look for a manual controlled one. I have mine set at low and I can't even hear it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom