virtual memory question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recommend adjusting it! Microsoft recommends you use 1.5x the amount of RAM you have for your page file (virtual memory). So, in your case, it should be 3GB, according to MS.

But, since you have so much RAM, your page file isnt gonna be used that much, so I would keep it around 1GB to 2GB. Windows isnt gonna use the page file unless it needs to (which is doubtful that it will), so it doesnt really matter how big you set it, but if it is much more than 2 or 3GB, you will be wasting hard drive space.

I also recommend getting rid of the range that the page file can be. Set the minimum and maximum to the same value.

If you set the Min and Max page file the same size wouldnt that force it to use the page file untill it hit the Min size of like 1GB as you sudgested to him? That dosnt make sense to me. It seems like it would spend too much time trying to balance the page file at 1GB or whatever it was set to, if the min and max were same.

Wouldnt it be better to set the Min to 0, and the max to 1Gb (or whatever) so that it would only use the page file if needed and not try to keep it full all the time.

Unless you have a reason/explanation for setting the min and max the same, then it makes no sense, and seems like it would hurt more then help.

The reason why I say to make it so that the page file can never change size, is because it makes it easier for Windows to manage it. If Windows doesnt have to concern itself with changing the page file as it sees fit, then you may get a tiny bit more performance out of Windows.

Tro1086 said:
If you set the Min and Max page file the same size wouldnt that force it to use the page file untill it hit the Min size of like 1GB as you sudgested to him? That dosnt make sense to me. It seems like it would spend too much time trying to balance the page file at 1GB or whatever it was set to, if the min and max were same.

Wouldnt it be better to set the Min to 0, and the max to 1Gb (or whatever) so that it would only use the page file if needed and not try to keep it full all the time.

Unless you have a reason/explanation for setting the min and max the same, then it makes no sense, and seems like it would hurt more then help.

is the pagefile not just used as an overflow?

If your system has 2GB+ of RAM, than Virtual Memory may be turned off with varried effects, although thus usually produces a speed boost.

If your system has over 3GB of RAM, it is a good idea to turn it off. Performance gains here will probably be substantial, no matter what "Windows Says..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom