6200 problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

vman

Solid State Member
i upgraded my card from a 5500fx to a 6200 i cleaned out the old drivers from the previous card and updated drives after install,

after the upgrade all of my games freeze after 2-5 minutes of playing
at the lowest settings possible
This happens on any 3d game

i upgraded to run at higher quality better graphics
i play ffxi world of warcraft armed and dangerous and verious demos
all crash even on lowest quality settings
but halo 1 is the only one that will not crash on high settings

Sounds like something could be overheating to me, not neccesarily your GPU/graphics card btw. What are the rest of your specs? Do your have any CPU/mobo temp monitoring utilities? If not, dl a program called Everest Home Edition: it has pretty reliable temp monitors.

I have a amd 3200+ 512MB of ram msi main board
the 6200
i have a large floor fan blowing air into the case it covers the whole case
everest shows my CPU temp as 52C idle mainboard is 32C
hdd is 36C
i reinstalled my old card and now it too is causeing issue

Try getting patches for the apps that do crash. If Halo runs continuosly on high settings and other games just crash and/or freeze then it could well just be bugs in the games.

Are all your drivers up to date (chipset, CPU etc)? Have you done the obvious by scanning for viruses, spyware etc?

Run a memory diagnostic like Memtest86 to check for bad RAM.

i patched up my comp before i posted to make sure it worked
the games are mmorpg's so they have a madatory patching system
the game's worked fine on the old card once i had the fan put by the
system.
Just once i put in the new card everything went to hell. have a 400watt power supply

And it's only these specific games that you have (crashing/freezing) problems with? Have you tried out a hardware-heavy app like Doom 3 (or the demo), 3DMark 05, or DX9 RTHDRIBL 1.2? If not I suggest you do, as I think heat is definately an issue here if your comp freezes when under stress.

Otherwise, you should realise that 512MB of system RAM is kinda low. You'll be using a hell of a lot of virtual memory (on your HDD). I'd recommend no less than 1GB of good quality RAM for gamers. Check Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Delete) while running intensive apps to see how much memory (and CPU power) you are using.

This could be anything. My guess is the problem is software related. If I were you, I would try formatting to remove any possibility theres a driver conflict involved.

You said you had a 400W power supply- what brand, and what are the rails reading?

It's probably not heat since you said airflow is sufficient. It could be a dud card also, but I would RMA only as a last resort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom