Computer freezes right after it's turned on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

"Freezing:

This is almost always a hardware problem. There is no known software mechanism in OS X that allows a freeze. One thing you can do to verify a freeze (vs. a bad mouse or other USB device): turn on the blinking separator for the menubar clock. This way, if your mouse stops moving, but the clock is still blinking, then you know that your computer is still running. Check into USB devices.

Most often, a computer freeze is either the logic board or the processor. If your machine is under warranty, bring it in for service. Otherwise, the only way to know for certain what is going on is to swap parts. The most difficult part of narrowing down freezes is the fact that you don't get software errors--the software just stops.

First: re-seat the processor and make sure all screws are present, and verify the condition still exists. Next, remove all expansion cards except for the video card, as you will need that to run the machine. Also, remove any unnecessary hard drives, optical drives, external equipment, etc... See if you can still make the machine freeze. If not, add parts back one at a time to see what the culprit is. However, if the machine does still freeze, check the RAM. If you can swap it with known-good RAM, do. Also, check the video card. If you can use a different video card, do. If you can use a PCI video card instead of AGP, do. Repeat the freeze-check process (which is up to you--dependent on your machine).

Once you are only left with the processor and logic board, you will have to swap parts to see which is causing the problem. If you have a dual processor G5, this is easy. Otherwise, you have to be able to get an extra processor module. On the G4s, you will need to reapply heatsink grease. On the G5s, you should NOT separate the heatsink from the processor. On the G5, you can run with just one processor. Do this to see if either of the processors causes the problem. Note that there has to be a processor in the top socket."

Try to reseat all of your PnP cards. One of them may have some loose during transport to your home/work. It may not have really jogged loose until this week.

Make sure the speaker on your motherboard is operating by switching the jumpers so that it is on, and see if you get a beep code. If you do, you can use that to diagnose the problem and find a solution.

If you do not get an error code, I suspect your CPU is either dead or overheating, or your BIOS is corrupted and you need to flash a new one

The best way to diagnose a problem is to remove all non-critical hardware. Pull your parts out of your case and assemble them on a work bench. Disconnect (S)ATA devices, remove a stick of RAM if you have multiple ones, remove periphiral cards, and boot. If the problem persists, switch your RAM again and boot. If the problem still persists, remove your video card and boot. If the problem still persists, remove all RAM, and boot with only your CPU and try and get some sort of error code.

What this diagnose does is pinpoint the problem, for example, if you recieved no error code, then removed all RAM and booted and got an error code for no RAM detected, your RAM is dead or faulty

It's the HDD!

Hi, I've followed the instructions, you guys, gave me yesterday and I narrowed down the problem to the HDD. With HDD disconnected, it passed all the tests.

Now, I am trying to figure out whether there is something wrong with the HD or it's bios settings that I should tune up. I've tried my old HD but I get a message that I should adjust BIOS settings.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Interesting, I've never heard of a hard drive causing a problem like that, if the drive is bad your hardware should still POST yet you would get a message which indicates no boot devices connected

I suggest you connect the hard drive to a different computer and try boot to identify if the problem is the hard drive, or a hardware or software conflict it's having with one specific motherboard.

It sounds, at most, like a problem with your chipset and ATA devices. Flashing a new BIOS may solve this problem

Well,

1) I connected my old hard drive and it booted the system. The thing is that OS on my old HD is corrupted so I get a message later on that Windows could not start properly.

2) Without HD, it goes through all the tests.

I will try though what you suggest just to make sure that was the problem.

Well if your Windows partition is corrupt you can boot with the win98 boot disk, type format C: to format your Windows partition, then set your boot order to CD and reinstall windows through your installation CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom