cheap effecient HS/F

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohGrFreak

ID.10T
This is about my backup comp.

I have a Gigabyte mobo, it's GA-7VM400MF3, socket A. The proc is an Athlon XP 2400.

I checked the temps via BIOS and again in MotherBoardMonitor. The BIOS shows the CPU temp to be 90c, yes, 90c. MBM show the CPU temp to be 78c.

The case only has one slot for an 80mm fan, which I just installed, now about the HSF, I obviously could do with a new one. I am not the greatest computer wiz, and do not trust myself with removing the Mobo do install a new HSF. I need a cheap and easy to install Heat sink and fan combo, preferrably under 20 bucks, because things are just that tight around here (financially).

Are there any suggestions on which to buy? I could also get some round cables to open up airflow, I rigged my floppy cable by folding it twice and zip tying it like that to act as a generic round cable.

Thanks in advance!
Ohgr

EDIT: this was build two years ago by a little shop in Iowa, it has run fine until now, I heard the case alarm lately and it has been restarting a lot.

Volcano 12 on newegg is the extreme, well over 30 bucks, the volcano 10+ is still 25 bucks.

The Thermaltake A1492 is a sweet price, I'll look into that, any other suggestions?

I'd assume with the temps some of the people are getting with this, it has to be better than stock, no? 50c is better than 80c after all. Some of us who are on a tight budget would rather feed their family than have a nice super shiny HSF.

I like your constructive thoughts on that HS by the way "lol"

"preferrably under 20 bucks" and the title contains the word cheap.

anyways, fact is, I am hurting financially. and my fiancee and her kids use that computer for emails and work and school, it's urgent i get it fixed and i am poor at the same time.

Does anyone have good experience with the Thermaltake A1492, or the even cheaper Spire MicroFlow II SPA07B2?

they are both cheap and they seem easy to install when the mobo is still in the case, reviews say the temps get down to around 50c at load.

i just want some advice before i make a purchase.

maybe your cpu is actually cooler then you think, maybe wrong readings. you may want to bios update, and also try installing a temp sensor or whatnot. everest used to say 109C so did MBM5 and speedfan used to say -48C so just see if you have the latest bios version

cheap would be around 20-30 dollar

expensive is 60 dollars

REALLY cheap is 10 dollars and it will probably be slightly better then stock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom