DVD Drive Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

joemar

Solid State Member
Hi. This is my first post hopefully, I can get a problem solved. I have a Lite-On DVD-RW Drive (812s) and about a 5 weeks ago, my son was playing one of his games on the computer, when it froze up him (it was running off the DVD drive in question). When my wife restarted to computer for him, the CD wouldn't read in the same drive. When I got home I noticed on the computer that the drive had dissappeared from the My Computer window. It was gone. The BIOS saw the drive, Windows didn't. So I tried removing the drive and having XP detect and reinstall the drivers. I had posted on another forum and they had suggested trying to swap it (master/slave) with my DVD-ROM drive. That worked, but for someother reason, my DVD-ROM won't recognize if it's set to a slave drive. Anyway after a week or so of trying diffrent things, I finally visited EPOX website and downloaded the latest driver. The drive was recognized, I thought problem solved. Now although it's recognized, it runs very sluggish. DVD's and CD's won't play and it takes forever for the drive to recognize any media inserted. A DVD-R, CD-R only cause the system to grind to almost a complete halt. Eventually (about 45-50 seconds later) the system will release, the drive will detect the proper media, but try to use DVD X copy or Nero and the both get an "Access Denied" error.

Thanks.

I have the same drive as the one in question for you. Mine began not completing discs and such when trying to burn CD's or DVD's and recognition of the disc was slow. I used one of those cleaning CD's in it to clean the write lens and that seemed to have solved the problem of slow reads for me.

what does this say in device manager?

try uninstalling you ide drivers and reboot the computer

I beleive this is your problem.

This has happened to me a lot

1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
2. Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
3. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
4. Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
5. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.

EricB,
I checked it out like you said, but I have no UpperFilter or LowerFilter values. I also have subfolders numbers 0000-0009.

Are you sure you looked in the right area? I just checked 6 different machines and they all have that value..double check or post a screen shot of the missing value from the registry

Try this:

Replace the existing driver
1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
2. If Control Panel is in Category view, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.

If Control Panel is in Classic view, double-click System.
3. On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager.
4. Click the drive with the question mark next to it.
5. On the Action menu, click Uninstall. When you are prompted to confirm the removal, click OK.
6. Repeat steps 4 through 5 for any other drives with question marks.
7. On the Action menu, click Scan for hardware changes.

uninstalling your ide drivers wiil fix that. reboot after you do it. the picture doesn't show up in the link

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom