Gaming system

Status
Not open for further replies.
www.aria.co.uk is very good. They stock all the regular AMD 64 CPUs but only start the X2 cpus at around 4200, this seems to be the same with both overclock.co.uk and ebuyer. Unfortunately the X2 4200 is too expensive.

Ok I have quite a complicated question. Should I go for a powerful graphics card or CPU? I can afford to get the 6800GT instead of the 7800GTX and then buy an AMD 64 X2 4200. Would that be a better setup? Or would it be better to go with the 7800GTX and get the AMD 64 3700 San Diego.

If I went for the more powerful CPU my srtup would look like this:

DFI Lanparty nF4 SLi-DR
Coolermate Aluminium 12cm Fan
Chenbro Gaming Bomb MIDI ATX Orange
Corsair Value Select 2x512MB PC3200
80GB Seagate Barrucuda 7 [7200/100]
16X MSI DVD-ROM Black
17" Iiyama Vision Master 1403 Black
Enermax Noisetaker 600W ATX V2.0
XFX GeForce 6800GT 256MB PCI-E
AMD Athlon64 X2 4200 512K Retail

Jesus, that's a hard question. Seen as your going to be using this comp mainly for gaming, then I would suggest getting the 7800GTX with the 3700 San Diego purely because there aren't that many games out at the minute that support dual core technology.

But to make it more future-proof, I would go with the X2. Damn, that is a hard question, but I think most people on this forum would recommend the 7800GTX with the 3700.

It's up to you though. Have you thought about going down to a 7800GT? I mean the extra 4 pipelines aren't THAT much to obsessed over, and I'm sure someone in the near future will learn how to unlock them. If you do go down to a 7800GT, can you afford an X2 CPU?

I'm working on getting the 7800GTX and the X2 cpu..tweaking everything around in my build..I will get back to you :D

haha OK then :) One thing you might be able to cut the price down on is your mobo. First thing you need to ask yourself is are you a SERIOUS overclocker, and do I need to spend that extra £40 on a mobo that I will not use to it's full advantage.

Also, you could probably cut down on the monitor price. You're after a 17" Liyama VisonMaster 1403, and I checked prices, and it's around the £85 mark. I have a spare 19" Liyama VisionMaster Pro 455 sitting in my room, and I'm looking for someone to buy it off me. I bought two of them for £150 (which is the price of one, brand new), but I'm willing to sell my second one for £50 (it's in fully working order, with the power cable and PC connection cable supplied). That would save you £35, and you get a bigger monitor!

Hope your interested!

AMD Athlon64 X2 4200 512K Retail CHANGED
80GB Seagate Barrucuda 7 [7200/100]
16X MSI DVD-ROM Black
Gigabyte GeForce 7800GTX 256MB CHANGED
Enermax Noisetaker 600W ATX V2.0
Asus A8N-SLi nForce4 SLi CHANGED
Chenbro Gaming Bomb MIDI ATX Orange
Kingston 1GB Kit (512x2) PC3200 CHANGED
17" Hyundai ImageQuest Q770 Blk/Sil

Ok how about that...I even axed the floppy drive... Any thoughts?

Good choice of CPU and GPU, but for the mobo, I wouldn't go with Asus for an SLi board. I've got a Gigabyte and it has a TON of features :) Very stable board.

Your system looks awesome now, just imagine what it would be like with a 19" Liyama :)

EDIT: Keep the floppy disk drive!!!! Seriously, most motherboards now come with updated drivers that are supplied on a floppy disk just to get the mobo working!! Make sure you buy one! I mean for an extra £5, it's not going to break the bank :)

Yeah, that's a great board, but go for the SLi version of that, it's in my signature below! Deffinitely worth the money so you can SLi in the future!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom