Which Proccessor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pc_boy

Daemon Poster
I want to get a new system, and I was wondering which of these 2 processors are better for me. I will be gaming, doing graphics (like photoshop and all that), flash, some programming.

Intel Pentium 4 2.00GHz 512k 400FSB S.478

Intel Celeron 2.8GHz 128k 400FSB S.478

The Celeron is 6.27 USD cheaper. I don't really care about that, I was just wandering what that 512k and 128k are for. If they don't really matter, I will just get the celeron because it sounds like it is faster, since they both have 400FSB.

Thanx guys!

common mistake. The 2.8 and 2ghz are only clock speeds whitch mean almost nothing now a days. the 128k and 512k is the cache which is intruction on the chip. This basically sums up the performance of the chip meaning p4 will perform 4 times faster than celly. Clock speeds are nothing in todays market. how do u think a 2.2ghz amd keeps up with a 3.2ghz intel? :D

out of those 2 i would say Intel Pentium 4 2.00GHz 512k 400FSB S.478 is the better one. i would suggest an AMD xp2500 - xp2700 system instead for photoshop. it is the same price or lower and much faster. you would notice a big difference over a P4 2Ghz.

ya dude, but the amdz don't have anything better than 333mhz FSB, so that is why I am goin' with the pentium 4.

actually amds go up to 1600fsb. And look at this if u will. The amd 512k 2.2ghz 400fsb is competing against intels 3.2ghz 800fsb 512k cache. they basically match one an other in performance. even though the intel has 1ghz more clock speed and 400 more fsb. Im sorry but a 2500+ barton would scream over a 2ghz intel p4. This is because of design.

how i understand that AMD's clock speed is running 2.2 GHz because its pipline is smaller than intels 3.2GHz chip, intel has to boost its clock speed inorder to overcome the pipeline distance, the only problem with a longer pipeline more errors result with lost signals, having to be resent, but the clock speed is so fast that it STILL outperforms AMD, i have to say AMD is more efficient but intel still holds the title. sorry amd luvas

zoerb said:
still, the athlon xp 2500 would be faster than the 2.0 p4

But not by a margin big enough to notice.

I like both processors, but I prefer Pentium. I have had problems with overheating AMDs in the past.

It's really a matter of personal preference. If you have an AMD rated at 2.2Ghz and a Pentium rated at 2.2Ghz, which is going to run faster? It could be either on any given day.

One of my best friends run AMD religously just because, no other reason than that.

As for the question: 2.8 Celeron or 2.0 Pentium, I would go with the Pentium no question.

actually if they are both rated 2.2 ghz the amd will win every day since it is doing more opperations per cycle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom