AMD Sempron vs. Intel® Celeron® D

Status
Not open for further replies.

stardanz1

Baseband Member
I spent a good amout of time on graphic design and occassionally need a backup system for minor tasks. I was looking for something not to fancy and inexpensive to get, I was comparing two computers.

The Compaq Presario SR1500NX
AMD Sempron processor 3000+ operating at 2.0GHz,
with 512KB L2 cache and 333MHz frontside bus.
256MB of PC2700 DDR SDRAM (expandable to 2.0GB)
80GB 7200-rpm Ultra DMA hard drive
DVD-ROM/CD-RW drive (max. speeds 16x/48x32x48x)

Hewlett Packard a1101n

Intel® Celeron® D processor 340 with 533MHz frontside bus, 256KB L2 cache and 2.93GHz processor speed
512MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM for multitasking power, expandable to 2GB
DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo drive

OOPS! I didn't quite get to finish and my finger slipped.

Anyway, my first thought was the HP has a faster processor speed of 2.93GHZ, but then I found an old processor comparison between the AMP Sempron 2800 2.0GHz and an Intel Celeron D 2.8GHz and the benchmarks indicated that the AMD won most of the tests (attributing it to Intel's lack of hyper-threading). Any comments regarding the AMD vs. Celeron D processors?

Compate the two systems below:

The Compaq Presario SR1500NX
AMD Sempron processor 3000+ operating at 2.0GHz, with 512KB L2 cache and 333MHz frontside bus.
256MB of PC2700 DDR SDRAM (expandable to 2.0GB)
80GB 7200-rpm Ultra DMA hard drive
***** AND *****
Hewlett Packard a1101n
Intel® Celeron® D processor 340 with 533MHz frontside bus, 256KB L2 cache and 2.93GHz processor speed
512MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM expandable to 2GB

Dont get a HP or a Compaq :p
Get the parts and build one yourself, you end up with a better rig. The HP rig looks like they are back using Traijen motherboards, using PC2700 (DDR333) with a celeron? Get a board that can hold DDR400 (PC3200). Abit AI7-GURU SKT 478 can run dual channel DDR400, has SATA, Firewire etc. I'm using it in my Celeron rig atm.

The compaq, 256mb RAM? come on if its on WinXP and you try doing large scale photoshop work its going to die

Basically, get into building your own systems and dont be afraid to ask for help choosing parts

If i were you i would go with amd,I used to have an older 2.4ghz Celeron and it's total crap compared to my 2600+ Sempron,With the Celeron it used to take me about 4 or 5 hour's to convert a 700mb avi file to dvd :( With the Sempron i can convert it in about 1 & 1/2 hour's now :D

Thanks Durinthiam, usually I buy the parts I want and I have a techie friend build the computer for me. I just wanted a simple, pre-fab machine that I could occassionally use. I'm mostly wondering about the processor, cache and bus speed. Wondering which system will move faster.

If I use Photoshop on the new PC, I definitely would up the RAM.
Based on Shumway's comments, though, it might be better to go with the AMD Sempron.

Any other feedback from anyone?
stardanz1

Durinthiam said:
Dont get a HP or a Compaq :p
Get the parts and build one yourself, you end up with a better rig. The HP rig looks like they are back using Traijen motherboards, using PC2700 (DDR333) with a celeron? Get a board that can hold DDR400 (PC3200). Abit AI7-GURU SKT 478 can run dual channel DDR400, has SATA, Firewire etc. I'm using it in my Celeron rig atm.

The compaq, 256mb RAM? come on if its on WinXP and you try doing large scale photoshop work its going to die

Basically, get into building your own systems and dont be afraid to ask for help choosing parts

Signature Rules
Lines: The maximum number of lines is 15 using text size=1. The maxium is 8 lines or less using a bigger font and text size, and with a graphic

http://www.techist.com/announcement.php?s=&forumid=4

If you must choose between the two computers, get the sempron.
you can always upgrade your ram if it is running to slow for you.

I'm an AMDer myself, but I'de hate to admit, the Celeron 340 (prescott) will kill the Sempron 3000 (barton) in almost everything except gaming (where they are even). See for yourself:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/sempron.html

The Sempron 3000+ trailed behind the Celeron 340 in performance. But the Celeron 340 trails behind the Sempron 3000+ in most cases when it comes to price.

If they are both the same price, I would get the HP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom