Problems reformatting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tro1086 said:
Is Powermax made by Maxtor? From what i could figure it looks like its kinda the same thing that came with a new Seagate HD i bought. I never used the Seagate software thou. Well not the bootable floppy part anyway, i used Seagates software to copy my old HD onto the new one and use the new one as the master.

Oh really do you have a link? My 160gig sata seagate didn't have any software?

yes maxtor make it.

when you get it to boot off of the XP disk you definetely can delete everything on the hard drive completely, then reinstall windows.

The XP disk and powermax CD's won't boot, says hit delete to go into bios, I hit delete and BIOS won't load, I made sure the CD autoplay feature was on, it won't regognized floppy's, I'm stumpted on how to reformat this thing.

hit f8 a few times when you first turn on the computer. this should bring up a boot to sequence.

what mobo do you have?

AOpen AK79D - 400 Max is the mobo.

I had one warning when it wouldn't let me reformat it says "If you decide to delete the newer version of Windows that is currently installed on your computer, the files and settings cannot be recovered"

So I know this sounds crazy, but do you think it'd work if I deleted the windows file all together? Go start my computer - C drive - and just delete the windows folder there?

Then get a black screen of death or something, turn it off and try to run the XP disk from there. Then it wouldn't be blocking me from installing an older version of windows xp, I know it probably wouldn't work but if the auto CD's won't boot, floppy drive doesn't work, I guess I'll try and put the hard drive in my computer and see if I can reformat it that way.

macdawg said:
AOpen AK79D - 400 Max is the mobo.

I had one warning when it wouldn't let me reformat it says "If you decide to delete the newer version of Windows that is currently installed on your computer, the files and settings cannot be recovered"

So I know this sounds crazy, but do you think it'd work if I deleted the windows file all together? Go start my computer - C drive - and just delete the windows folder there?

Then get a black screen of death or something, turn it off and try to run the XP disk from there. Then it wouldn't be blocking me from installing an older version of windows xp, I know it probably wouldn't work but if the auto CD's won't boot, floppy drive doesn't work, I guess I'll try and put the hard drive in my computer and see if I can reformat it that way.

this way won't work. they put that info in your mbr which isn't in windows.(you can't delete that with windows tools, but powermax can)

autoplay only works in windows, not when you are booting.

did you burn that powermax.iso file as an image file?

My windows XP disc isn't bootable, so I searched google to find out how i could install XP without a bootable disc and I found somewhere on the Microsoft site that made me download a file and then write it to a floppy disc and it will work like a setup disc in case you don't have a bootable CD. I'll try and get a link for you.

monaro_man_91 said:
My windows XP disc isn't bootable, so I searched google to find out how i could install XP without a bootable disc and I found somewhere on the Microsoft site that made me download a file and then write it to a floppy disc and it will work like a setup disc in case you don't have a bootable CD. I'll try and get a link for you.

all xp disc are bootable. your bios must not be bootable or it isn't set to boot from the cd rom first in the bios

EricB said:
all xp disc are bootable. your bios must not be bootable or it isn't set to boot from the cd rom first in the bios

Yeah it wasn't bootable bcause some files were corrrupted on it, a result of leaving the disc lying around in no case for a few months.

EricB said:
Oh really do you have a link? My 160gig sata seagate didn't have any software?

yes maxtor make it.

Just check out Seagate.com and they have the software on there site for download. Its kinda simple software for less technical users but it gets the job done. You will probably like Powermax more thou since you already use it and it sounds like it can do more then Seagates program. Seagate dose have a bootable floopy version of theres thou like Powermax.

Tro1086 said:
Just check out Seagate.com and they have the software on there site for download. Its kinda simple software for less technical users but it gets the job done. You will probably like Powermax more thou since you already use it and it sounds like it can do more then Seagates program. Seagate dose have a bootable floopy version of theres thou like Powermax.

thanks. i download their utilities yesterdays

monaro_man_91 said:
Yeah it wasn't bootable bcause some files were corrrupted on it, a result of leaving the disc lying around in no case for a few months.

LOL. I guess that would do it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom