Better for games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sickness

In Runtime
I was wondering, if I were to build a new machine for games, and make it a dual boot, lets say Windows 2000 and XP Pro, would Windows 2000 run games better? I've heard that 2000 is easier on the processor than XP. If I were to get a 300 gig hard drive, and partition lets say, 10 gigs to Windows 2000, and then another 10 gigs for Windows XP, could I use the remaining 280 gigs with both OSes? Would I run into any compatibility issues. I'm talking about installing all my games on the 280 gig partition, and run them from the Windows 2000 partition. Kinda a two question deal here. Anyone got any advice?

You are correct, XP is a memory hog and in memory demanding games such as BF2 and Fear the more free memory you have, the better those games will perform. The only advantage XP has over 2000 is the better management and prevention of memory fragmentation

You can dual boot and all partitions will be visible from both operating systems. For example:

C: - Windows 2000
D: - Windows XP
E: - Data

All three partitions can be accessed and modified from either 200 or XP

Methinks this should go in windows forum

I'm sorry, I wasn't sure which forum this should go into. My apologizes. Anywho, would BF2 and F.E.A.R. run on Windows 2000?

I would run a 15 gig for xp, 15 for 2000, 70 for games and 200 for my documents

beleive me with that rig u dont have to worry about it man. u wont see any differences in game play. and the only reason a game would be better on an older os is cause the os is not that demanding as xp.

I'm not talking about the rig I have in my signature. I'm in the process of building a new pc, and I want to replace some parts, mobo, cpu graphics card. Just wondering if It would make any difference to run the games on the Windows 2000 partition.

In my exp. Xp ( ran in classic mode w/ the sys properties set to performance over looks. ) takes the same sys resources as win2000 but is more "reliable" than 2000... WIN2000 pro, is made for office machines. Its a corporate OS, not really for gaming.

Advice : When you build your machine, STACK the ram.
Especially now, the games are getting bigger/better.
BF2 for an example is a MONSTER. The more RAM the better.
get ATLEAST 1 Gb, you will wish you had more... trust me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom