Keeping Norton antivirus definitions after formatting ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

weswes

In Runtime
Hi there ,

Every time i have to format my pc i face a really bothering problem , i loose all the updates for all the programs i got.
The most important one is Norton antivrus, suppose my virus defintions are up 2 date, wn i format the pc and re-install Norton , it shows the virus database that is originally supplied with the program ( its too old ) , so i need to re-download them from the net again. keepin in mind that i got dial-up , dats not an easy task at all.
So,

is there any way of keeping my ( up 2 date ) virus defintions to avoid re-downloading ?

Thanks for ur time

Well, they add new virus definitions every week or so. You can just go to Symantec's site and download the definitions independently and keep them on a seperate CD or drive or something.....they are up to about 4.5Mb now.
Keep in mind that there are other updates for Symantec antivirus than just the defs though.....You'll have to download these too each time.

-Mike

it really shouldn't be a problem because when u install that norton. Inside a week when new definitions are released it automnaically see's what definitions you got and what you need to it will just add those ones over the past time span and the new ones. might take up to 30 minutes but better then having them on a cd

a way you can stop reformatting, installing an operating system and minimize download anti-virus updates is use Norton Ghost. it will create an image of your partition. if something happens you restore the image.

your computer is back to the way it was when image was created with all settings, programs, and updates installed at that time. if you have NTFS partition you should get at least Ghost 2003

Thanks for replying all of u,,,,

i'd like to know , if i decided to download the updating files from their website , how can i do this manually to get ( files ) to burn on a cd, in other words...when u choose to update the norton , it just links up with symantec , download the stuff by itself and never tells u wat were done ..( Automated procedure ) ?

One thing that you can do is if you have an older drive that is laying around is after you format and reinstall windows with all of your programs and updates installed. After doing that copy your drive. You will be able to copy the drive to that point whenever you feel that you need to reformat again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom