How to tell if your motherboarrd is working good and not faulty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlo

Baseband Member
hey dudes im wondering if i can find any software to scan my motherboard to see if it is in good working order

Not necessarily, I have had motherboards that would boot up and work just fine in wondows, but they had hardware problems like a usb port not working or fan power connectors not working and things like that.

yea, ur mobo is usualy never the problem unless it doesnt start. if it goes to windows its prolly fine.

About the only sure fire find out whether or motherboard is 100% working is that it's the only item that you have not replaced yet.
Good Old Fashion Get Your Hands Dirty Trouble Shooting.

I normally change over the RAM, CPU, CARD and try getting the machine to boot up with the bare minium first. It's the idea of "We Changed Every Thing Else, It Has To Be The Motherboard"

Then again, I got the recourses to able to swap and change hardware at my work (Computer Store). Eg. Spare parts and a working test bed.

Because Changing a motherboard is one of those tasks I loath doing, I try checking every thing else first.

As for software for checking your motherboard, contact your motherboard's manufacturer. They MAY have some thing that you can download. Some how I dought it as the last thing the manufacturer's really needs in all there end users who thing they "know-everything-about-computers" bugging them.
Trust me, I had enough bad expereinces with end users and fault finding software just because they don't what they are doing.

About the only thing that i can think of that get remotely close to what might be after is a P.O.S.T. CARD. It's a PCI card with an Display that will test your PC for faults when booting up.
The only problem is.... the cheap ones (approx AU$500) will only tell you the obvious (eg. No Ram, No Video Card, IDE Channel Conflict etc.). These ones are a complete waste of time as your POST beeps and 5 minutes of reading the motherboard manual will tell you the same thing.
The ones that really work (eg. The ones that will tell you give you the details on what part of the motherboard is wrong) are start at about AU$2500. At that price, you can buy yourself another motherboard with a kick ass system on top of it.

wow...... Yea i see kits that are $500-$2000 american like that, comes with all sorts of hardware that you put into the motherboard theres one kit that used a PCI slot and a available RAM slot :-\ but hell who would but that >_< $2000 american......................................

charles_scott said:
but hell who would but that >_< $2000 american......................................
PC Technicians that really do not have the time Fart @$$ around with chopping and changing every other part.
Eg. Network Admin from Medium to Large Companying that just got lumbered with the job of Company PC Repair Man.

PC Technicians that want 100% solid evidence that motherboard is stuffed. I know a few that need these as the double check and tripple check the motherboard before sending it back to me for RMA.

PC Technicians that require a $2000 tax write off. If I was going to get one of these, I would organise a FLEXIRENT lease on it as any bet POST cards get outdated along with the technology.

Normally your motherboard importer will have one of these cards has they would want to be 100% sure that there is some thing wrong with the motherboard before sending it back to Asia where the factory are for RMA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom