100% CPU being used all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.

tasha606

Beta member
am hoping some one can help. I have a Toshiba, Equium A60 laptop which I have problems with it always running at 100% CPU I have tried going into msconig and start up programs and turning nearly all of these off and still this does not help. This laptop has a 2.8Ghz Intel Celeron processor and 256 memory and its extremely slow loading up and to run programs. I was thinking of buying more memory because I donÂ’t know what else to try. Do you think more memory will help or do you know some thing I can do in windows to stopping 100% of CPU being used.

The MSCONFIG thing came to mind first, but there are other things as well.

Boot into safe mode (I think hitting F8 while it boots should do it... different computers use different keys). Once you get into safe mode, scan for virii, adware, and spyware. If you don't have any scanners, go to http://housecall.trendmicro.com/.

You'll have to use Internet Exploiter, as Firefox doesn't work very well on the site (bummer). Scan for virii first (the top choice). After it is done, scan for spyware (the lower right choice).

Downlad TweakNow (http://www.majorgeeks.com/TweakNow_RegCleaner_d4134.html) and run it. Follow its directions.

After all of that, try the MSCONFIG thing again.
MSCONFIG (when used with the RUN command) opens up the System Configuration Utility. Most of the stuff in there you don't want to mess with unless you know what you are doing or have detailed instructions.

Click the STARTUP tab. The list that it pulls up is everything that you can choose to start up when Windows does.

Why is all of this stuff in the list? Because every program designer thinks his 'creation' is so indispensible that no one could possibly want it to NOT start up with their computer (yeah, right), so they set it into the list and have it to do just that.

Once you're at the list, look it over and see what all has a check mark. Every program that does starts up when Windows loads... EVERYTIME!

If something is checked, but you don't know what it is, Google it and find out.

Once you have seen what is there, uncheck everything that you don't need or want. Keep your firewall, antivirus, broadband drivers, graphics drivers, whatever you absolutely have to have, but uncheck everythign else.

Once you are done, click APPLY, OK, then reboot.

When your computer starts up, you'll get a grey box about the System Configuration Utility. Check the box about 'Don't run on startup' then OK.

If you had a lot of stuff checked, then your comp ought to start up faster and run more stable.
See how this works for you.

thanking this worked had a program running in the start up which thought i needed but once i goggled it realised i didnt switched this off and the CPU has gone back to normal .

If it was a process associated with MS AntiSpyware, you need to uninstall it, then reinstall it.

I have discovered that it occasionally goes haywire and hangs up, maxing the CPU.

I would NOT suggest searching for the files and deleting them. Do as trotter says, UNINSTALL them. If you don't know what they are and think a certain file is associated with said program and you just "delete" it you could cause the system to be unstable. Just deleting a programs associated files is never the answer, to much crap will be left behind... ALWAYS do a uninstall if you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom