seprate hard disk for os?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well what I would do is setup 2 f the the raptors in RAID 0 for all my games (now that is an awesome setup), and then have one more raptor for my OS (with maybe a few programs on like photoshop etc) just incase I need to re-install Windows again. Then I would have a seperate BIG hard drive (like 400Gb) for like films, music, big files etc.

That way, if the OS fails, you don't lose important info, your games run super quick on the two raptors in RAID 0, and you have huge amounts of storage for big files.

Personally, I would get 2 x 74Gb raptors for games, 1 x 36Gb raptor for OS and slow programs, and then 1 x 400Gb/500Gb for storage.

Just remember, don't put all four raptors in RAID 0, because if one fails, the other three need to be wiped as they are now useless without the missing piece of information that has been corrupted.

bigo93bronco said:
thanks man looks like you haven't been decieved after all LOL.
Haha, no it doesn't :D

well if one of the raptors fail, all his games are gone too :(, just get a raptor for the OS, and put 2 250GB hdds into raid 0 or raid 0+1 or raid 1 or raid 5 or raid 2 or raid 50 or raid whatever you feel like doing

PZEROFGH said:
well if one of the raptors fail, all his games are gone too :(, just get a raptor for the OS, and put 2 250GB hdds into raid 0 or raid 0+1 or raid 1 or raid 5 or raid 2 or raid 50 or raid whatever you feel like doing

Yeah, that is the unfortunate thing. But really, the only thing you'll want to keep from your gaming hard drives are your game saves, and any mods you have downloaded. So just like backing up data on a CD/DVD, just make sure you copy your game saves and mods onto your other raptor with the OS on :) That way, if they one does fail (which is highly unlikely), all you have to do is install the games again! You don't lose any information that isn;'t already provided on the installation CD(s).

Hope that helps!

thanks guys i have made up my mind now. 1 raptor 74 for OS and normal programs, and 2 in raid 0 for my games. If i need more room for my games or something down the road i can rebuild the array, adding another raptor, and not have to reinstall the OS. My files (mostly music) will go on my server, and i'll just set it up so i can access them from there through the game monster. Boy i can't wait to get this thing 100% finished. I'm using her right now in a very stripped down form, until the rest of my parts get here so i can finish her. Thanks for the help!+!+!+!+!

yes thank you finally you came up with the idea of making 1 raptor your OS and 2 in raid for your games, BUT BACKUP REGULARALY, like everyone month or so...or everytime you save something important. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom