Is a firewall a necessity? if yes, which one do you recomend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
do you recomend the "Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite"or just the Zone Alarm Pro??
I checked their website....
the Suite consists of:
Triple Defense Firewall™
Anti-Spyware
Antivirus
ID & Privacy Protection
Email Security
Web Content Filtering
Anti-Phishing Protection
Spam Blocker

Have you tried it?? is it any good?? or do I just stick with Zone Alarm Pro??

thanx again

what do you recomend me to get? ZonAlarm Pro or Internet Security Suite?

is the zonealarm av better than AVG or Norton or McAfee?

another question...can I do the same with AV or will it messup the computer (have more than one installed)

I think when you install ZA with AV, it will want you to uninstall your original AV, so thats why I went went Symantec. 2 AVs can mess your system up so be careful. I recommend Pro if you have AV already. Its personal preference on what is better, me, I like Symatec for viruses and Adaware removal tools for spyware etc.

when you install zone alarm, you will notice it replaces windows sp2 firewall.. So i recommend zone alarm, it works perfectly for the last year or so :D

so basically..the AV is all personal prefernce?? They are all good..?
(lets say between McAfee and Norton...)
They are the same (more or less) and its only a matter of preference????

You are going to have your people who say this is better than that and that is better than this, much like cars, chevy is better than ford, ford is better than chevy, etc, etc. I personally recommed Symantec Antivirus 10 Corporate Edition. I have never ever had a problem it. I have always had a FW called Zone Alarm and I havent had a virus since I dont know when. Remember Sasser? I didnt get that virus becasue I was behind my software FW, HW FW didnt mean nothing, it got thru as with thousands of other corporate servers around the world. This is why you need HW and software FWs to have a backup. Just as a test, I disabled ZA and no sooner than I get online, I was hit with sasser. If you keep a software FW and hardware FW like your router, a good AV, run regular scans with spyware programs, you will be just fine. Now watch, someone will come on here a go completely against what I said, but thats their preference. You dont see me in the spyware section all the time do you like a lot of people on here are. And if you do happen to get either a virus or adware program, its the users fault for downloading it, installing it, connecting an infected pc to your network and not updating file definitions. If you do get one installed and running, then you might have some work to do. So its basically up to you. McAfee is good, Hotmail uses it to scan their attachment but just because they dont use Symantec, it doesnt mean it isnt good. They just got an agreement with them to scan them, money, money, money. If they ever drop MA, who knows what will take its place.

Rawan AbuSalman said:
Forgot to ask about the Windows Firewall that comes integrated in SP2...is it any good? or is it enough?? or should I install another one?

I've been using that solely for 2 months now and I'm more then satisfied with it. I used to use Zone Alarm Pro but it's become quite bloated IMO and have since stopped using it. XP SP-2's firewall has outperformed many pro firewalls that I have tested. It's small, unobtrusive and does its job quite nicely. I'm wayyyyyyy in the minority here but XP SP-2's firewall is sufficient for most people, that's my choice.

thanx alot...I think I will get exactly what you have! ;) lol!!

I never thought of this whole AV thing as just "preference"...Anyway, I think im gonna get symantic...

(I was just on the symantic website....God they have a lot of products!! I think I will get Norton AntiVirus 2005...(should be more or less like the one you have but this for home use ;)

btw...I just saw the Norton Internet Security 2005 AntiSpyware Edition..do you think I should get it or it is not important?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom