Ram Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

posito75

Solid State Member
I have a MSI Neo 2 f motherboard and currently have 1 gig of ram. Its two sticks of 512mb, but its from different companies. Anyways here is question, Can i buy another 2 sticks Dual-Channeled put those in and still put my old 1 gig non-pair on the other slots? Or does the dual-channel going to disrupt the single channel ones? Let me be more precise, once you go dual-channel cant use your singal channels anymore?

Thanks

dual channel is achieved by using two identicle sticks....there is no such thing as 'dual channel messing up single channel' as the RAM is NOT dual channel itself...when the products say "Dual channel RAM" it means that those two sticks are guaranteed to run in dual channel together.....if it's not in dual channel, it's single channel, period.

You filling up your slots = the ram running in single channel.

You putting in only the two identicle sticks in the appropriate slots = dual channel

I see.. Thank you.. You are very helpfull. Then I will buy the dual channel and put the single channel in the leftover slots.

Then I will buy the dual channel and put the single channel in the leftover slots.
ok, apparently you still don't understand....that doesn't make sense dude.

you're trying to label ram as 'single channel' or 'dual channel' and that's not the way it is...it's the motherboard and CPU that determine whether they'll run in dual channel or not.

You're combining sticks that don't match, that means it's going to run in single channel....you aren't adding single channel to dual channel...there is nothing to 'add'....dual channel is how something runs...

Ohh now i understand. You cant mix them. that sucks. Thanks for clarifying it for me. I was already getting excited. Thats okay though.

posito75 said:
Ohh now i understand. You cant mix them. that sucks. Thanks for clarifying it for me. I was already getting excited. Thats okay though.

You can mix them no problem but they will all run in single channel since they are not all identical stick's.

Shumway said:
You can mix them no problem but they will all run in single channel since they are not all identical stick's.

Grr not true.

You can run non identical sticks in non dual channel, I can run my Elexir sticks with my kingston stick in dual channel on both of my PC's 100% fine.

However it's not guartneed...

DJ-CHRIS said:
Grr not true.

You can run non identical sticks in non dual channel

Hello that's what i just got done saying :rolleyes: :D

DJ-CHRIS said:
I can run my Elexir sticks with my kingston stick in dual channel on both of my PC's 100% fine.

However it's not guartneed...

It's going to be a 1 in a million shot that they can run in dual channel since he will have 3 different brand's of ram :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom