Possible Dead Mobo, maybe CPU, any clues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sCribes

In Runtime
Hello,

Im troubleshooting a pc for a friend. It wont power up period. The motherboard gets power (lil green light), but nothing after that, no post, nothing.

I have tested the power supply in another machine. Test OK.
I have tested the Memory in another machine. Test OK.
I have examined and reseated the cpu. Still No Power. Cpu looks fine, i regreased it and replaced.

Is this the mobo, or the cpu. The problem i have is that i dont have another machine to try the cpu in, and i dont have another cpu to try in this motherboard. I have 4 test machines, and none of them run on the new intel chips.

Can anyone give an insight of whether its the mobo or cpu, or if there is anything else i can do to find out.

Thanks

If it was the CPU you would get an error message saying 'unworkable cpu'.

If your not getting anything but a green power light (no BIOS info, no startup data, no system checks) then it is probably the motherboard, however, it could be both since CPUs are nice and sensitve and it could have been damaged when the mobo went.

your saying that if the mobo is fine, but the cpu is dead, it will boot and say the cpu is bad?

Im worried that both are bad, however i have never ran across that error message, i have had a few cpus die and the system just wouldnt boot like this one is, but usually theres noticeable damage to the chip.

If the CPU is damaged (and i've damaged a few myself) i've always gotten an error message telling me about it.

Don't forget though any damage to the CPU will stop it working, but if its one of those really nice new intel chips without legs your chances of damaging it are slim.

How did this happen? Was it working fine one day and then not the next? Or are you currently building that PC?

as the story goes,

It was sitting up on a small crate so it was a foot or so off the floor. It rained, and either the roof leaked and it was dripped on, or it was splashed on, etc.. somthing along those lines. Its more than likely not working because of water damage. And the proc does have pins.

How long ago did it get wet?

If it was just now - let it dry out.

So your chip isn't one of the newest intels then? Shame, they are really nice to fit too.

But atm you have no evidence to suggest that the CPU is the problem, since your getting absolutely nothing. From what you've described it looks like the Mobo. The only possible exception could be the graphics card.

video card works fine in another pc...its an agp nvidia fx 5200.

Yeah, just the light on the mobo is all i get.

I did get the fans running in the case with a different power supply, but the power supply thats in the system unit with a problem, works fine in another case.

Well for now i guess at your mobo, with PCs you can only test one thing at once anyway, so your going to have to do something with the mobo.

You could, just for interest try the mobo without the CPU in. Just to see what happens, if something different goes on it may give us some more clues.

i just put the other power supply on it. When i hookup the other power supply, just to the board, and the hd, i can get the heatsink fan to spin, and the power supply fan spins, but no post, nothing after that.

This seems odd to me, why does one power supply get farther than the other, and both work fine in a different rig.

Btw, the one that i am able to power the fan with, is smaller than the original one thats having issues.

TTT

Anyone else have any suggestions. Is there any way to test a mobo or cpu if you dont have a replacement part or swap out machine?

I have only found one place i can get an exact replacement mobo from and their out of stock..Replacement Motherboard

any other places anyone knows of, or i'll probably just swap in a better mobo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom