comp freezes at idle

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeLeMuNdO!

In Runtime
Ever since I moved my computer to my college dorm room, it has been freezing randomly. I've updated the BIOS, messed with the power options, and even bought a new PSU. I've been searching the net, but none of the solutions fix my problem. It usually happens if i leave it alone for more than 15 minutes, cursor won't move, ctrl + alt + delete won't work. If anybody has any suggestions, please share.

AMD 64 3400+
Asus K8V SE Deluxe
ULTRA 600 watt PSU
2 74 gig WD raptors
ATI x850xt PE
1 gig (512 X 2) Corsair XMS RAM
Soundblaster Audigy 2 Platinum

I've seen some problems due to programs left running that result in memory leaks and the cpu getting worked at capacity, this can result in some very slow response times, if the cpu is at capacity, then it may freeze or work so slow you may believe it had.

In any case, windows task manager should respond, but in your case it doesn't you say.

Alright, apparently it's not just happening when idle, considering it just froze up on me while I was writing my reply. Don't think the CPU is getting overloaded or anything, it never happens when I play games or anything else. Also, after it just froze up, when it ran the disc-check it found a bunch of "invalid" temp internet files (something about the size).

make sure all your hardware is seated ok, ram, video card.....and check your cpu temps.

All hardware is connected, put new thermal compound on the CPU. CPU temp is usually cool, but can't check it after it's already froze. Still having this problem.

It sounds like your having some kindof hardware or software conflict. Try booting your cpu into safe mode, let it run for a day running whatever applications you can, see if it still happens.

Also while not in safe mode, check all running applications, and close whatever's not necessary. Go through your processes thoroughly and research ones that you don't know at www.processlibrary.com

It's not an immediate solution, but troubleshooting your system this way should lead you in the right direction.

Here are some things you should do, they may or may not help your problem:

-Defrag hard drive
-Run a full virus scan, free virus= Avg
-Run spybot search and destroy for spyware
-Download and install hijack-this and run a scan/post results
-Disable screensaver if enabled
-Adjust start-up programs with Msconfig: Start/run, type "msconfig"/startup tab/ shut down any programs you dont need running on startup. All I have on mine is video card/battery pack and antivirus.
-Run a scan disk
-try safemode as Bass suggested, that will tell u if its software related

If you need links to anything above let me know. If you have any questions dont hesitate to ask.

Hope this helps. Cheers.

Haven't had a crash since about 5 pm earlier today, but I doubt it's gone away. Next time it crashes, I will boot into safe mode and let ya'll know how it goes. Vaderpro - Tried most of those when I first started having the problem, except the safe mode suggestion. Thanks for all the help guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom