seprate hard disk for os?

Status
Not open for further replies.
im saying that you should install your OS on the raptor, sense its faster. and use the 300GB one for just your regular files, data, and stuff. and you can install important games and files on the raptor.

EDIT: why buy a 200 dollar hdd with only 74GB of space, and if you buy 4 of them thats 800 dollars, but you will just end up with 74GB of space, cause when you raid 0 them you can only use the size of the smaller hdd, so i thinjk its a waste of money..and you really wont see a performance difference with raid drives. so i think you should just buy one raptor for OS and important files and games, and a bigger one for your other files

Raid really is not necessary for what you want. Raptor for O/S, 300gig partitioned for all else, saves money in the long run and you dont have to fart around :)

THANK YOU DURINTHIAM for backing me up, lets try to knock some common sense into this guy. WHY ARE YOU SPENDING 800 DOLLARS ON HARD DRIVES. THAT YOU ONLY HAVE 74GB OF SPACE! if you had 800DOLLARS you can buy the 15,000rpm harddrives for that much money which would be way faster

Meh i get customers who ask for RAID all the time when they dont need it at all, if I was a cut-throat pirate of the tech industry I would say, hell yes give me all the money but I just dont. If you dont need, dont get it

correct me if i'm wrong, but 4 74 gig disks in raid 0 would make 296 gigs wouldn't it? as for price, thats not a concern, because i have sources. using the equipment i told you about, what is the best cofiguration? there will be NO files on this computer. OS and GAMES that is it.

uh hello do you know how to raid 0 LOL! you dont even know how to raid 0 and your saying you want to raid 0. LOL

ok if you have 2 hdds, lets say two raptors, and you raid 0 them together

that will only make 74GB geez, dont you know what raid 0 is

http://www.acnc.com/raid.html just go to google.com and type in raid 0 there should be some more websites will help you explain

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/perf/raid/levels/singleLevel0-c.html

Array Capacity: (Size of Smallest Drive * Number of Drives).

Recommended Uses: Non-critical data (or data that changes infrequently and is backed up regularly) requiring high speed, particularly write speed, and low cost of implementation. Audio and video streaming and editing; web servers; graphic design; high-end gaming or hobbyist systems; temporary or "scratch" disks on larger machines.

and dont forget, if one harddrive goes bad, you lose all your data

i thought the idea of RAID is that if one hard drive went you were safe, i thought that was the whole point.

I agree with bigo93bronco, RAID 0 means that the computer splits up the amount of information it has to write into how many hard drives are in RAID 0. In this case, the computer would split up the info into 4 equal parts and wire them onto the sepeartae hard rives at the same (which saves space and time).

Unfortunately, in RAID 0, if one hard drive fails you lose all data. It's only in RAID 1 where the computer mirrors the information from hard drive to the other at the same time. This way, if one fails, you have an exact copy of the same hard drive.

PZEROFGH said:
Array Capacity: (Size of Smallest Drive * Number of Drives).

You kinda just cancelled out what you were arguing about! You get the smallest hard drive in terms of capacity, and multiply it by the amount of hard drives and you have a total capacity. In this case:

4 hard drives, all at 74Gb in capacity which means:

4 x 74 = 296Gb

That is one hell of an expensive set up, and if you can afford it, why not go for it?? I would if I had the money! I mean nearly 300Gb running at 10,000rpm! Wow :)

thanks man looks like you haven't been decieved after all LOL.

i have access to the raptors for not much money, so as i was trying to explain, i'm trying to use that advantage to the very best that i can.

my real question was is it better for performance to install games on a hard drive other than the one your OS is on.

What about 2 raptors on one raid controller for OS, and 2 raptors (4 later on) for games on the other raid controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom