Upgrading Laptop CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

einstein87

Beta member
I have an Acer 3002 laptop that currently has an AMD Sempron 2800+/1.6 GHz processor with a 256KB. I was wondering if there was any cost-effective way to upgrade the processor to something faster?

Nope, with anything faster you will have heat problems.

Laptops are not upgradeable, except RAM, Hard drive and CD / DVD drive which are all extremely limited.

No, sometimes laptop cpu is upgradeable (mine was). Does ACER have a support forum like Dell does? You should find what you're looking for there.

jorsoft03 said:
No, sometimes laptop cpu is upgradeable (mine was). Does ACER have a support forum like Dell does? You should find what you're looking for there.

How did ya get the heatpipes off?

they don't have a support forum :( so, if anyone is familiar with this particular model and knows about upgrading CPU's there help would be immensely appreciated. Thanks

Pretty much can't be done, by the time you could find one that would work, and paid a lot of $$ for it, you could have just gotten a new laptop...

As mentioned CPU's aren't upgradeable (rarely the case that they are) and it would cost a heck of a lot. Not to mention it isn't as easy as doing it normally.

DJ-CHRIS said:
How did ya get the heatpipes off?
I unscrewed and lifted up. Apparently I got one of the 3 laptop models that Dell made upgradeable. Lucky me ;)
I agree that buying a new cpu costs so much you might as well get a new laptop. You could only upgrade to another Sempron anyways, which I doubt would be any faster than a 3000+.

check out the heat dissapation with newer CPU. as Laptops come designed with appropriate heatsink for the CPU. you may be able to put in Turion processor providing that it is of same heat level as of sempron.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom