A question about the difference between a P4, a Celeron and an AMD processor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackecho

Baseband Member
Ok, I am looking to build a system and I am slightly confused about some of the systems I'm seeing. For instance, I found a Intel Celeron 2.6ghz for 250$ and a Pentium 4 2.5gz for 325$. They are by the same seller and the same company so my question is this, what's the difference. The Celeron is cheaper and faster, any ideas as to why? Also I've seen this with AMD proccesor's as well, where they are more expensive and have less hertz. Thanks!

another thing i noticed. i recently read that a mac g5 is one of the most powerful home computers too date, but when I searched it on google it only had 2.2ghz. and the one of the newer athlon processors has only 2.3ghz. are hertz as important as i think, or does something else make the computer?

celeron are comparable to duron. they have less L1 or L2 cache and perform terrible. pentium4 are comparable to XP line of processors. xp are much cheaper and their design is superior. plus you can easily overclock an XP processor, making the comparision even more uneven. CPU frequency alone doesn't tell you how powerful it is.

my personal opinion, there is no point in comparing a pc to mac. their hardware is very different and software availability is scarce for mac compared to availability for pc. mac processors are not superior. i think that is a bunch of lies, straight up.

mac OSX operating system is a toy compared to windows XP excluding the server versions. it is also overhyped as being good for graphics work.

as Ek said above, the frequancy of a CPU isn't the only thing that counts,

if you want to build a profession PC , then drop all Celeron PCU's; there not crap, but don't quite the work u expect from them,

you can't really go wrong with a Pentium or AMD CPU, both very good, the only differance is the hardware you can use with both of them,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom