Looking For An MP3 Program. Please Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vector_anomaly

Solid State Member
Ok, first if this post is in the wrong topic please move to the correct one, I couldn't find one that really matched what I was looking for. Anyway.
I am looking for a progam that will create folders from the specified tags on your mp3's.
Here is my situation. I have one folder that is compleatly full of MP3 files and i want to get them into their own folders by Artist or Album Or by which ever tag that you wanted the folders. I have searched all over the net looknig for a progam that will do this and I have yet to find one.
If any one out there has an idea please point me in the right direction.
Thanks A million.
:)

tags associated with the files so i am not sure that u will find any software for this but try to search any mp3 organiser that will help u and if u don't want to make the folders then u can do playlists according to u r artist and gener usin windows media player try it

of course, the long workaround would be to create an autoplaylist by tag and then burn the files to a CD, and then retrieve them from the CD... but that's not much less work then doing it yourself, and you still have the issue of the cost of CDs and time required to burn them =P

I just sort via wmplayer... all my mp3s have stayed in the same folder.

what I would like though, is a way to translate the tags contained in the file to a new filename... so that it names my mp3 files contributingArtist & " - " & trackName & ".mp3"
is there something that does that?

I was able to create indivual folders for artists and album when i ripped them from MusicMatch. I think AudioCatalyst and AudioGrabber also do this. But i am guessing that these are downloaded MP3's and that wont help. Aside from that who would want to re-rip their CD's. As for a program that does what you are looking for i dont think so. FileSieve does something like this but it only does it by first letter or something like that. Check out FileSieve here. Maybe this will be of help.

Just started looking into this. I'm going to try and make a program in perl to do this as they have a tag reader and you just need to read in the tag and process the information. Problem that I'm going to suspect off the start, is non uniform tags, and untaged music.

I'll let you know what happens...

Thendar said:
I use iTunes , does a great job of keeping music files organized in seperate folders by artist..

Itune has an option to do this. it is the 'let Itunes organize my files".

but you can do it yourself. Click View, choose detail... now check everything that you want to show up.

now hit view, arrange by name and show in groups. now you can put them in their own folders

furtivefelon said:
it's an easy task as far as programming is concerned.. I assume any good music organizer would do that?

most won't create new folder like Itunes will

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom