and
AMD 950MZ 228MB ram no HT
Just reformatted
(on win ME it was working find before up grade to xp
on 128 ram)

no virus porblem, nothing runing in the back ground
only 10GB used on 80GB hard drive
all cleaned up and defrag.

seems to be an xp problem very demanding?
but a 2GB chip, shouldnt have these problems?

Any tips or help on this would be good. :confused:

thank you pepy

ok the chips are measured in ghz not gb lol. but i now what u mean. well to be frank with u there computers suck. the ceriro should be alright but 256 mb ram isnt gonna kut it for windows xp pro or xp. the minimum ram u should have with xp is 512mb ram.and its prolly cause they have a billion background apps.

Here's something I sent to a friend. It should apply here as well.

MSCONFIG (when used with the RUN command) opens up the System Configuration Utility. Most of the stuff in there you don't want to mess with unless you know what you are doing or have detailed instructions.

Click the STARTUP tab. The list that it pulls up is everything that you can choose to start up when Windows does.

Why is all of this stuff in the list? Because every program designer thinks his 'creation' is so indispensible that no one could possibly want it to NOT start up with their computer (yeah, right), so they set it into the list and have it to do just that.

Once you're at the list, look it over and see what all has a check mark. Every program that does starts up when Windows loads... EVERYTIME!

If something is checked, but you don't know what it is, Google it and find out.

Once you have seen what is there, uncheck everything that you don't need or want. Keep your firewall, antivirus, broadband drivers, graphics drivers, whatever you absolutely have to have, but uncheck everythign else.

Once you are done, click APPLY, OK, then reboot.

When your computer starts up, you'll get a grey box about the System Configuration Utility. Check the box about 'Don't run on startup' then OK.

If you had a lot of stuff checked, then your comp ought to start up faster and run more stable.

I can tell you that anything below 512 on XP and it will go real slow. There is alot you can do w/ using 256mb but you have to be pretty advanced and know what your doing. Other than that the cpus really shouldnt matter. Its just a case of baground aps, ram, and Virtual memory.

like I said

"no virus porblem, nothing runing in the back ground
only 10GB used on 80GB hard drive
all cleaned up and defrag."

and its the 2Ghz 512 ram having the most problem
playing mp3 music,
just skips "stops breifly" ect and the cpu is only showing 20% useage

worse that my old 400hz amd with 228 ram
on win 98

Heres what ya do... backup the stuff they would like to keep. Grab that windows cd and reformat. Dont bother on the guy with 256. But the 512 shouldnt be puttering along like a beaten child.

P.P. Mguire said:
I can tell you that anything below 512 on XP and it will go real slow. There is alot you can do w/ using 256mb but you have to be pretty advanced and know what your doing. Other than that the cpus really shouldnt matter. Its just a case of baground aps, ram, and Virtual memory.

Im running XP pretty well with 256 ram on my lappy

My back up computer runs XP just fine with 256mb of ram, hell i sometimes use it as a multimedia center and use my main computer to control it using VNC......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom