got a basic dell for college ...want to do some gaming with it

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 6600GT in a 4600 will be just fine - plus add another 512MB of some value ram, and you'll be just fine.

Listen, I used to own a Dell 8300 - P4 3.4Ghz and the stock PSU was the same 250watts. I bought and installed the X800XTPE and ran it with that PSU for 4 weeks with no issues. Then I upgraded the PSU to PCP&C turbo-cool 425w because I added another GIG of RAM and installed another 250GIG SATA HDD.

So, for him... 6600GT & 512MB should be a good upgrade. In the future, consider upgrading that PSU... www.pcpowerandcooling.com

HAVOC2k5 said:
A 6600GT in a 4600 will be just fine - plus add another 512MB of some value ram, and you'll be just fine.

Listen, I used to own a Dell 8300 - P4 3.4Ghz and the stock PSU was the same 250watts. I bought and installed the X800XTPE and ran it with that PSU for 4 weeks with no issues. Then I upgraded the PSU to PCP&C turbo-cool 425w because I added another GIG of RAM and installed another 250GIG SATA HDD.

So, for him... 6600GT & 512MB should be a good upgrade. In the future, consider upgrading that PSU... www.pcpowerandcooling.com

I do have an external 80GB harddrive as well. Those PSU's arent too expensive, but I'm not sure I have the know-how to put one together. What wattage do you think is suitable? (does more wattage mean more electricity consumption?)

OO thanks.

SO the PSU can be swapped out for something higher with no worries? ...like adding the extra memory or the video card?

Yup... it's just a matter up unplugging all the power cables inside your computer, unscrewing it, pulling it out, putting the new one in, securing it with the screws, and plugging the power cables back in.

Ok. I think I have all the options covered. What would be the first thing I should upgrade?

Dell mobos will not work with off-the-shelp PSUs. Plug it in and fire it u... and you fried your mobo. That's one reason Dell suxxx.

Try the card I have, GeForce4 MX 4000 (Oh, I can just hear the fanboys screaming now...). I can play HL2, as well as any other 3D game, but I don't. The card is cheap now (was once cutting edge), and it doesn't suck up a lot of juice (my PSU is 250W too).

For a system like yours, and with what you want to do with it, an older, less powerful card is the ticket.

You may also want to look at the 9600's from ATI. They ain't bad, they are cheap, and they don't require your own power plant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom