Power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruiz0041

Beta member
Hi All,

I am attempting to help a cousin with his compaq presario is failing to power on. There was a thunder storm and the lights went out and the next time she tried to power on it did not work. I am fairly sure that the problem lies with the Power Supply.

When the power switch on the front of the case is engaged, nothing happens: no cpu fans, no flashing lights, sounds or beeps, nothing...

The PSU is a Bestec ATX-250-12Z, 250 W and the 115V switch on the back has not been changed. There is a flashing green light on the back of the power supply when connect to power.

It was plugged into an adequate surge protector and there is no burnt smell or discoloration. I have ensured that the power cord plugged in to a live jack and still not even the fan on the PSU comes on.

I have check to make sure that it is plugged into a live jack and that the motherboard lead and the power supply connections to the mother board were installed correctly. I donÂ’t think it is a short in the motherboard as nothing has been touched or altered inside the case, he didnÂ’t even have it off.

I have tried disconnecting the power supply from the motherboard, and plugged in an old hard drive, so it will have a load and not much seems to be happening. The hard drive doesnÂ’t spin up even when connected directly to the lead, even with the motherboard disconnected from the PSU. Although when it is plugged directly into the hard drive as the load the led on the back is a sold green

I will try an alternate PSU but I find it seems strange that when plugged directly into the motherboard and powered on, the LED on the back of the PSU flashes and makes a clicking noise in unison with the LED beside the power connection on the motherboard. So itÂ’s seems like it is getting power through to the motherboardÂ…

Can anyone shed some light on what this may signal? Does this sound like a problem with the PSU itself or more like a short in the motherboard?

Many thanks in advance for any advise.

MRuiz

hmmm that werid...

I guess try an alternate PSU and if it still wont work then it is some thing worse. (like the mobo)

Do you know the specs of her other stuff?

Looks like your f'ed mate that storm may have completely blown every component, I recommend you get a different PSU and try it if that doesnt work then it looks like you're gonna have to shell out for a new PC, Sorry mate.

PHREAK76 said:
Looks like your f'ed mate that storm may have completely blown every component

If this is true and if you have an adequate surge protector therefore it comes from a reputatable company then it should have come with a plug-in equipment warranty. If so, see if the warranty applies to you.

Most reputable companies usually come with at least a $15,000 plug-in equipment warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom