Windows Vista Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a Beta you have compatability issues thats a no brainer. Some games will not work some software will not work. Internet is using IE7 which looks like firefox still has it's bugs but I like it (yes I said I like IE for the time being). Microsoft's statments claim that

XP boots 10% faster than Win2K and runs apps 15% faster than Win2K
Vista boots 15% faster than XP and rns apps 10% faster than XP

I'm sure thats what they are aiming for as for what percent it is faster currently I cannot say.

XP boots 10% faster than Win2K and runs apps 15% faster than Win2K

I never noticed any speed improvments whan I upgraded my dads computer from 98 to xp, It actually got a little bit slower.

Terrible install and I recommend you reinstall then anyone can notice a boot speed increase.

As for app speed it's kinda fuzzy how MS does it. You have to take OS XP's requirements and app speed. Then you have to take OS Vista's requirements and app spped.

I'll try to explain better

If both PCs run the minimum requirements for the OS then you should notice a 15% increase on speed. You have to take into consideration OS requirements. I suspect your dads computer is below XP requirements or slightly below.

I have no clue why then. But I do figure Vista's ability to shut down uneeded reasources when playing games will make it's way into making apps load and run faster also. Besides that there is always refined NT code. I'm not sure what else they are doing to make things faster other than these.

mikee said:
its over the requirements

amd k6 500mhz
192mb ram
10gbhdd

it's your ram. xp is a resource, despite the minium requirements xp really need 512 ram as a minium. you can get by with 256, but as soon as you added a firewall and A/V you sucked up most of that.

An interesting point you brought up.

Windows NT4.0 and 2K use NT code, does not support 9.X
Windows 9.X (95-ME) use 9.X code, does not support NT
Windows XP uses NT code, does support 9.X
Vista/NT6.0 uses NT code, will it support 9.X or will that cause too many problems.

Notice: I know I promised a Beta1 review but I am rather lazy and school has started so it may be awhile longer yet.....;)

If i am not mistaken Vista uses the Server 2003 code not the NT code like XP. This has been an issue on some other forums i am on about driver problems. The response is always to gget the 2003 drivers since Vista is based off of that not XP that is why not all XP drivers will work for Vista.

I have also seen that Vista has issues with Nforce Raid systems. As far as i have seen no one has been able to get it installed on that type of system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom