Format Slave Hd Without Loss Of Data???

Status
Not open for further replies.

bedofrazors

Beta member
recently my system started acting up and programs stopped working and stuff.. so i thought i should reinstall windows xp.. well i did and that went okay but i went to hook up my slave drive (with all of my old music and other files) and it said i had to format it first! is there any way at all that i could get around this? or i could format it without the loss of my previous data?! please help me!!!!

Do not format the drive whatever you do. You will lose all data. Is the OS the same as the previous one? (e.g. XP Pro can see dynamic disks, but XP home cannot.).

How was it formatted previously?

i suppose the os is seeing it as a new drive, that you have to format first.

i thought it was easy to have a HDD as a slave, people always go on about "slave it in another computer" when you need to rescue data, do you always get this format problem?

well i dont know what you're talking about joshd ive never tried to do this before.. i just kept all my data exactly the way it was on my slave i moved all my important stuff to it then i reformatted my other master hdd and now it just recognizes my 250gig hdd as being a 31gig that needs to be formatted.. i dont know whats up with the size thing, but i tried exploring it and everything.. could i maybe like partition it? would that cause loss of data?

you need to format to partition, so dont do that.

would having it as master on the second ide channel work? im not sure. anyone?

did you change your HDD's jumpers? Some HDDs have a 30gb clip setting to work with older OS's.

Also, do you have all Windows updates and drivers loaded?

Again, also try putting the HDD as slave in another computer, and see if you can retrieve the data that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom