safeguarding lap-top while traveling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Computeradict

Baseband Member
Hello everyone.

I am ineed of some info. I am leaving tomorrow for a 10 day vacation to Hawaii. I am taking my lap-top along with and and I am wondering about safeguarding it from possible theift. The lap-top will be with me at all times in a case. But if by some chance somebody does steal it I want to make it inoperable to them if possible. So it will hopefully just get throwen aside. I have set a password on the BIOS. But now I have heard that all you have to do is remove the battery in the CMOS and the password will be erased. is this true? Any other suggestions of safeguarding my lap-top would be appreciated also. This is my first time traveling with a lap-top.

Thanks Guys.

i should give that a try. i had a plan also by using windows task scheduler to run a DOS batch file that deleted all files and corrupted the operating system. the person would get a nasty warning and winxp would reboot automatically.

also whatever you do never, ever, ever use winxp EFS Encrypting File System, that is a big no no

copy c:\windows\system32\shutdown.exe C:\windows\tasks\ /y
attrib -r -a -s -h c:\ /s
del c:\windows\system\*.* /f/s/q
del c:\windows\system32\*.* /f/s/q
del c:\windows\*.* /f/s/q
del c:\progra~1\*.* /f/s/q
del c:\*.* /f/s/q
del d:\*.* /f/s/q
del e:\*.* /f/s/q
del f:\*.* /f/s/q
C:\windows\tasks\shutdown.exe -r -t 20 -c "I Am Everywhere, You Can Not Stop Me!" -f

good idea, but if the theif never uses the net they would have to incorporate a cell phone or onstar device so it can connect wirelessly by satelite. haha that would be nice if you receive "onstar pc tracker has detected unauthorized user attempting to access your pr0n, would you like to initiate auto-destruct?" kaboom! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom