Is RAM my problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peyre

Beta member
Hi guys. New here. But I have a feeling I may be around for a while.

Last friday, I receive my brand new shiny computer.

Specs:

N2PA-LITE- Nvidia Nforce Mobo/chipset
AMD Athlon 2800xp
512mb 400 DDR RAM
GeForce FX5600 128mb
Onboard AC97 Sound
40GB Barracuda HD
Samsung DVD/CDRW Combo

Now this computer was a base unit from www.gooddealpc.co.uk

and so it had no OS installed.

But. When installing Win98 SE (was planning to upgrade to Win XP Pro) I would get several errors and blue screens whilst the setup detected and set up hardware after the initial installation of W98

Occasionaly, setup would continue and I would manage to get to the desktop. I would then pop in the disc that came with the computer that contained the drivers for the Sound, Graphics, Mobo etc

However, installing the drivers would usually results in windows not being able to boot next time round. I would either get general protection faults, blue screens, and illegal operation messages.

Also, even trying to do anything in windows usually resulted in freezeups and illegal errors.

After consulting with a friend who builds computers himself, he is pretty certain its the RAM thats the problem. He indicates that faulty/cheap RAM is the most common problem when buying or building a new computer.

What would you guys think? Is it any other hardware. Is it Bios settings?, should I disable certain hardware?

I have contacted the hardware support line of the company, and they SHOULD be getting back to me, but as we all know this can take time, and can prove to be a right pain concering having to stay home for the enigeners to arrive, only for them not to turn up.

Thanks in advance :)

What were some of the errors and the messages in the blue screens...believe it or not, the blue screens (although annoying as hell) can be helpful in trying to isolate a problem.

-Mike

Well, they really are a variety of things, i can't remeber them right now either. Nor can I go and write them down now as I've wiped the whole drive clean :D

but these were coming up anywhere and everywhere. During setup, when booting up Windows, When trying to install things.

Ok, since you have already wiped the drive....is installing XP an option? In your earlier post you mentioned upgrading to XP anyway. Why not try it from a fresh install.
I, as well as many other people on this forum, wouldn't recommend upgrading between Windows OS types anyway.

-Mike

well I havent got XP pro yet, which is the problem. Although I wouldnt think it would help anyway :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom