Windows freezes all the time :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

RevCor632

Baseband Member
Well this has gone on for a loooooong time, but it's just now gotten to be so I can't even boot up. In the middle of doing something, Windows will just freeze, mouse and all. Sometimes before this happens somthing in my computer starts making a funny noise like "click beep". Now it will freeze before Windows even starts up. So I booted using a Knoppix LiveCD, and it works fine, which makes me think it is something wrong with Windows. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Boot into safe mode and runa virus and spyware scan. That should clear up some issues. Other than that i would think that your XP install is corrupt and needs to be redone. I would suggest backing up all info possible from safe mode and then format and reinstall XP fresh onto a formatted hard drive.

ya but a clicking sound means hard drive is dieing, it is also very possible that your RAM is bad, download the ISO for memtest 86 and boot it up and run it over night.

I've done millions (figuratively) of virus, spyware, and memory scans, and they all turned up clean. If my RAM was bad, then wouldn't Linux freeze too?

I think I'm just going to buy another hard drive. 80 gigs are cheap.

well try the format first.. so instead of wasting money to buy a new hdd when it could be a corrupt install as said above

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom