Intel or AMD and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Snyder said:
Something that you might want to keep in mind is that Intel only makes 32 bit processors not 64 bits. AMD makes 64 bit and when Longhorn comes out next year it'll only work on PCs with 64 bit processors.
Please read the big thread it's been covered

Vista is 64 bit but it also has the option of being 32 bit I don't know how microsoft is going to make that work but think of it as when Windows 95 was 32 bit but also supported 16 bit. Vista is coming out next year and will support the current 64 bit processors and the new ones. Both AMD and Intel makes 64 bit chips....

Tyler1989 said:
Please read the big thread it's been covered

Vista is 64 bit but it also has the option of being 32 bit I don't know how microsoft is going to make that work but think of it as when Windows 95 was 32 bit but also supported 16 bit. Vista is coming out next year and will support the current 64 bit processors and the new ones. Both AMD and Intel makes 64 bit chips....

Well considering i use a 32bit Vista and im typing from it right now it is possible that M$ can do it. This will be the first OS that M$ is going to do a full 32bit and 64 bit and the last one. I dont count XP cause XP x64 has many bugs as ME and hasnt been as stable as the 32bit version. I have seen the 64bit Vista and it isnt different than the 32bit it just looks better.

the ironic thing is XP 64bit only work with amd processors.

intel = better video editing and faster mouse clicks from point to point
AMD = better with everything else

I don't think anyone should stick to one company, Just buy whatever the best is for the best price at the current time is, I woulda bought an intel if it was better than the AMD one i have now.

Thendar said:
I prefer Intel not necessarily because I think the processor is superior but I think that their supporting chip-sets are more stable and reliable.... Had some bad experiences with non-Intel chip-sets.

wow...

that's is far from the truth. take it from a guy that own 2 pent 4 and 2 amd's. first off pentium offer no protection circuity. I've lost a PSU, CPU, hard drive and video card due to electrical surges over the years with pentitum computer. My AMD Computers that were on during those same surges?

I reached around the back of them and flicked the power switches circuit breakers back on.

also, intel will try to go too fast when you are doing something and they will get stuck (you will have to reboot the computer to ifx this). An Amd will slow down until it get full control and everything is back to normal.

PS anybody who is doubting what I said in my last posts on this subject, just pick up a magazine or book (I.E. PC world, PC mag, etc). they compare and review these processor all of the time. AMD has been superior to intel for some time now.

Thendar said:
Sounds more like a feature of the motherboard/case???? I can understand possibly the CPU, but I fail to understand how the chip-set can protect your PSU from surges.

You have me totally baffled on this one... Could you please explain in more detail?

Intel... AMD... PPC.... Who cares? People use what they feel is best for them. The whole CPU debate has been beaten to death. I'm happy with Intel, you're happy with AMD... Life goes on.....

I really don't care either. I just responded to your "intels are more stable comment"

if you have an Intel, I know you have had those instance where the computer has just stopped. no movement, no response, nothing. Especially when you are multitasking. in my experience this just don't happen with an amd computer

Well as for a pentium user i can say that i have used their product since it was first released and before with the DX386, SX386, DX486, SX 486. I have had only a few issues with freezing and such with all of my PCs over the last 10+ years. I can say that for the most part it wasnt due to the fact that the processor froze up it was due to the fact the OS couldnt handle what i was attempting to do. It has gotten so much better since the days of Win3.11 and Win95. I have had only 1 instance i can remember of XP ever freezing on me. I dont know if it has had somthing to do with my chipsets or not but i have had great success in multitasking with my pentium machines. I usually have Opera, CS2, Media player (or winamp) running along with windowsblinds, desktop sidebar, av, fw, windows onecare, winfs just to name some programs i have running almost all the time. So i cant say that AMd is better or worse since i have never used one. Most likely will so i can go 64 bit soon.

"AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor Overview
The AMD Athlon 64 processor is the first and only Windows®-compatible 64-bit PC processor. The AMD Athlon 64 processor runs on AMD64, a revolutionary technology that allows the processor to run 32-bit applications at full speed while enabling a new generation of powerful 64-bit software applications. Advanced 64-bit operating systems for the AMD64 platform from Microsoft®, Red Hat, SuSE, and TurboLinux have already been announced, and they only run on processors with AMD64 technology."

And here's the link to this lil' bit-o-info!

http://www.activewin.com/reviews/hardware/processors/amd/3800/

As for me, colour me green!

AMD, is on th' scene!

Ok, sorry 'bout that last bit...I just couldn't help it though! ;) :D

Well from all the reports, some from Intel themself, that the 64 bit processors were rushed and not where they should be. They are "sub-par" and fall short of the AMD 64 chip capabilties. For the story go here and see what Intel had to say on this matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom