Want to buy a computer...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can build a decent computer for 300, but when you want to upgrade down the road, you'r going to have to change everything out.

A PCI-e motherboard and gfx card alone will get you to 300 in a heart beat.

We are trying to tell you that 300 will take you no where, sorry man.
-Joe

why dont you just save up some more. and get a decent computer for around 600-700 dollars. or you can always just buy a cheap dell 300 dollars and then you will have to buy another the next day

EDIT: you can always buy a cheap socket A mobo and cpu. but then you will have to upgrade in about a year. so it really is no point of buying a computer with 300 dollars

Sure, a Dell is always an option, but it will explode the minute the warranty ends. Don't do it.

You expect to make a low-end PC for $300 using relatively new technology, and it cannot be done. You're looking down the PIII and Socket A Athlon and Duron path, and those no longer upgrade like modern parts do.

I have considered saving up. I've been going around to other message boards seeing what their advise is though.

How much work does it take to take out a motherboard and put in a new one? If I wanted to upgrade just the motherboard and processor on my current computer, could I do that for $300? I have Radeon 9600, so it has the older slot, and I have an older processor, so I need a new motherboard with the old slot for the radeon and a new slot for a new processor. I would probably have to buy new ram right?

Here's the story. I currently have a computer. It's kind of old. The only things I have upgraded on it are the hard drive, video card, and ram. But the processor is kind of slow. It is a AMD 1.3ghz processor. I would really like to upgrade that to something that would just put that to shame. But for me to upgrade it, I would have to buy a new motherboard because I believe the slot has changed since I got my motherboard years ago.

So, I was contemplating buying a starter PC and starting from scratch with that. But if I can't do that, maybe I can upgrade what i have now.

Could I get RAM, a motherboard, and a processor better than my 1.3Ghz for $300?

How much do you think it will cost Joe? What products were you thinking of Joe? Again, I'm going to be using this for just bottom of the line gaming. I don't need to run anything on max, so keep that in mind when giving me advice.

Look at exactly what I have. I call it the bottom of the top of the line.

any socket 939 board
3000 Venice
6600GT

~$400US Right off the bat, then you need to figure in all the other stuff you want.
-Joe

I'm just looking to get a better processor than my 1.3mhz. With that, I will need a new motherboard. And because of that, won't I need new ram?

But if this is too difficult to get, saving up is probably the answer.

I think saving up is the best answer, do some research before buying anything. Make sure everything is compatible with everything else, then your good to go.

you could prob get away very tightly a lil upgrade with 300 from your current setup, the thing is you cant upgrade after that because the new technology which will be upgradable in the future cost alot more than 300 setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom