Want to buy a computer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattRiddle

Solid State Member
I'm looking to buy a starter computer that I can upgrade in the future. I'd really like for it to have a nice motherboard and processor and a non-agp video card slot (you know, a slot for the new video card). I really don't care what else is on it. I'd like a small-medium hard drive. USB slots in the front would be awesome. The case doesn't have to look awesome. Can someone suggest a computer I could buy? I'm not looking to spend that much money. The cheaper the better. Again, I'm not looking for the best computer out there, just something I can start with and upgrade later. That means, I want all the new slots so I don't have to buy a new motherboard atleast until they come up with a brand new archetecture. If someone can help, I would be so appreciated. Thanks so much everyone.

Matt Riddle

300$ isnt going to do anything, except possibly the cheapest POS computer they are so cheap they dont even put alot of slots on, to save money from using less plastic.

You can't do much with $300 these days, unless you want to buy a $299 Dell that doesn't do crap except die after 90 days (DO NOT BUY A DELL!! JUST DON'T DO IT!!) Why you do not want to build perplexes me; because these days you will have to build with older parts to meet that budget.

EDIT: Not only that, you want a good mobo with a PCI-E slot and a vid card. That's a good $250-$300 right there.

you could buy a case for 100 and.. a crt monitor and act like you have a comp.

I'm not asking for a god computer, I'm asking for a very start-off computer. If you think I could get something like this and build it myself, then post the prices. The video card doesn't even have to be decent. I'm just looking for something I can upgrade in the future that I don't have to buy another motherboard for. I don't need a monitor, so that cuts the price down alittle. Heck, I don't even need that nice of a processor, just so that my motherboard can hold better processors without having to be replaced because the slot changed or whatever.

Things are getting cheaper and cheaper as the technology changes. I don't think it's unreasonable to be able to make a bottom of the line computer for $300.

Any help is appreciated a lot.

But you are literally asking for the impossible. Consider that the HD, CD drive, and OS is about $200 right there. There is no way you can get a mobo, CPU and RAM for all $100 or so.

CHAINTECH S1689 Socket 939 ULi M1689 ATX AMD Motherboard - 68 (cheapest s939 mobo)

amd athlon 64 3000+ - 146

SAPPHIRE 100120 Radeon X300SE HyperMemory 128MB DDR HyperMemory (32MB Onboard VRAM) 128-bit DDR PCI Express x16 Video Card - 48 (very crappy video card. more for video editing isnt it?)

262 dollars for a video card, mobo, and cpu. you still need a case - 20 dollars, dvd burner - 40 dollars. OS - 81 dollars. hd - 53 dollars

thats 456 dollars right there. no where near 300 dollras...

EDIT: and btw you really think you can build a bottom line computer for 300 dollars? why dont you check out www.newegg.com or www.monarchcomputer.com look at the parts yourself and see how expensive they are...

OH YEAH I FORGOT THE RAM! lol the ram will be an additional 50 dollars for 512 which most people have 1GB these days

so thats 500 dollars for a whole computer

you could probably get a barebone system for around 300$, it wouldnt be usable but you could upgrade it. A mobo that is worth anything is like what 60$ min, cpu has to be like 150-200$ absolute min. Its just not possible to have a working comp for 300 plus having it be upgradable to tomorrow's technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom