Anyone know what this file is ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

talacrush

Beta member
Whenever I boot up my PC I've started getting a message telling me Windows is trying to open a .dat file but can't open it because it doesn't know what program is needed.

The file it's trying to open is ' bmtomi.dat '. Maybe I've done an unclean uninstall at some time, but all I want to do is to stop it searching for a program to open this file.

If you don't know what this file is, perhaps you know how I can stop this message appearing everytime my system boots up.

(I've tried searching in Google for the file to give me a clue but even the mighty Google finds nothing.)

Thanks in anticipation,

Graham

computer specifications plz
what broswer do u use
what connection to internet
you got firewall, router?
whatspyware/AV programs do you have
know how to use msconfig?

Have you tried START>RUN>MSCONFIG>STARTUP Tab. In there you can check or uncheck what applications start at windows bootup. There you might be able to find the .dat file and stop it from trying to auto load. Here is a site that tells what a .dat file can be. Check that out and see if one of those can be what it is.

machine spec n details

Its an 800mhz (getting a bit slow) pretty much standard machine. Hasnt got SP2, but has got Norton Internet Security. I use IE as my browser and a broadband modem/router with built in firewall. I know how to get to msconfig, but i've never used it.

Well do what i suggested and if you dont know what a process is you can just google it and findout what app uses that startup app.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom