Monitor displaying a garbled mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

VortexX

Solid State Member
Through numerous problems of trying to figure out why nothing would show up on my monitor with my old configuration, I bought a real nice motherboard when I ran out of all other ideas.

Now instead of nothing showing up on the monitor, I get a garbled mess.

Ive replaced the CPU, power supply, disconnected IDE drives, and the garbled mess remains.

What could be causing this? Besides a faulty graphics card..

Please respond, much appreciated.

Also, everything boots up fine and I get one beep from POST indicating everything is working ok..

VortexX said:
and the garbled mess remains.
First of all, I don't know why, but I laughed my ass off reading that, thank you.

Now to your issue. From what I can tell, you've done a good job substuting parts from the system that would possibly cause a problem. So, having that said, I must ask... Have you tried a different monitor? Could the monitor cable to the video card be damaged or have faulty connections in it?

If you're using an LCD that has to be connected at BOTH ends this is more of an issue then an older CRT, but that's not to say it hasn't been heard off.

The 'garbled mess', does it change? like it is almost like static on a TV with color? And if it DOES NOT change while its on, is it the same image when you boot it up again?

EDIT:: Looking over your post, you didn't say you replaced the video card, that would definatly be the first thing to do. Are you running onboard graphics? Fill us in.

motherboard doesnt have onboard video, with an old motherboard Ive tested older graphics cards that work, monitors that work

but this is a new motherboard, with new problems... the display isnt static, it shows white blocks for text and green boxes leading down on the left and right of the screen.

Ill bring it to bestbuy tommorow and have them check off the chance my LCD or graphics card is the culprit.

btw ram is fine, I swapped another stick and no change.

nitestick said:
sounds like its the graphics card thats at fault. monitors don't tend to make that sort of distortion

an lcd will if it going out

did you try to softmod the video card?
dd you buy it off someone else? (they might have tried to)

and what is the video card?
try downloading a new BIOS for it, a DOS boot disk and a flash utility for it. then add a command to autoexec.bat to flash the video card's BIOS to the one you downloaded. then, stick it into the machine and turn it on. it should boot and flash its BIOS automatically. then reboot when you know it's finished (usually when the floppy stops, but keep it on for a couple of mins longer though just in case)

It was the graphics card.. I dont understand what happened to it.
It worked fine before the airplane ride and afterwards it was jutting out of the agp slot. I did notice quite a bit of dust in between the heatsink and the wafer.. I was wondering maybe the contacts are scratched or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom