Renaming Drives - ie d:\ to u:\ not changing the title but the drive letter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon

Beta member
I've just reinstalled XP following a crash and find that a partition that I set up has been renamed from drive U:\ to D:\. How can I rename to U:\. Something tells me I can do this in DOS - How???

You can change the drive letter in Windows XP Computer Management.

To open Computer Management, click Start, and then click Control Panel. Double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.

In the console tree, click Disk Management.
Where?

Computer Management (Local)
Storage
Disk Management

Right-click a partition, logical drive, or volume, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.
Do one of the following:
To assign a drive letter, click Add, click the drive letter you want to use, and then click OK.
To modify a drive letter, click it, click Change, click the drive letter you want to use, and then click OK.
To remove a drive letter, click it, and then click Remove.

How do I do this if I boot off of the drive I wish to change? It tells me i can't change the letter of the boot drive?
I installed a new hard drive and reinstalled WinXP, but now my boot drive is F, I would prefer C:

MIKE

nice info AzSundown :)

i would keep the letters the way they are to be safe. this may or may not be what you want as i have never tried this. it can corrupt your operating system forcing you to reinstall winXP if done wrong.

be very cuatious and back up any and all important data (word docs, spreadsheets, videos, ect) to another physical hard disk before you attempt this:

http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...port/kb/articles/q223/1/88.asp&NoWebContent=1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom