Intel or AMD and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcortes

Fully Optimized
i was wondering what proccesor is better Intel of AMD. because im confusedl, AMD claims to be faster but the intel has higher processing speed (3.8 ghz dual core).

I like AMD better, it just suits me better. They are also quite a bit cheaper than Intel I think.

AMD puts out more FLOPS than an Intel chip of the same clock speed. a 2GHz Athlon is significantly faster than a 2GHz Pentium, so you can't compare them by GHz.
I don't have the exact numbers as to how they compare, unfortunately, but i can tell you that the fastest AMD chips on the market still offer higher performance than the fastest Intels. They are also more economic than intels, as a general rule. (you get more bang for your buck).

AMD has a dual-core now too...
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_9485_13041,00.html

Amd is better for gameing. Intel is better for multi windows such as searching the web or using photoshop and stuff like.

somewhere I heard that intel is better for multimedia and amd was better for gaming, so it really depends on how much you want to spend and what you want to do.
I'd personally use amd

Something that you might want to keep in mind is that Intel only makes 32 bit processors not 64 bits. AMD makes 64 bit and when Longhorn comes out next year it'll only work on PCs with 64 bit processors.

Actually Intel does make 64bit now its just that they are not as good as AMD 64bit chips. As for the answer it is all personal preference. Intel has been good to me for the 10+ years i have used them. No problem with the processors just with the OS. So it all depends on what you want to do with the PC.

From what I know of processors, when you get down to the baiscs, AMD and Intel are pretty much the same thing. The differece comes from how they are arranged on the die and how much cache they provide.
The AMD chips are better for gamming and things that use flaoting point. Intel has had a lot of problems with that for years. AMD came away in the head when it came to floating point. As to what intell is good at, it's kind of up in the air. The new processors are not performing anywhere near the simular AMD's, but they do have better integrety when it comes to the way data is sent in and how it comes out. From what I recall, Intel chips have a lot less data loss and also provide a high level of heat and fault tolerance, where as AMD doens't... but that is what I recall...
might find you a link if I have time...

Snyder said:
Something that you might want to keep in mind is that Intel only makes 32 bit processors not 64 bits. AMD makes 64 bit and when Longhorn comes out next year it'll only work on PCs with 64 bit processors.

P4 670, 660, 650, 640(which I'm running), 630, 571, 561, 551, 541, 531 and 521 all support 64 bit technology. So does the P4 840EE, Pentium D 820, 830, 840, and even some Celeron processors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom