6600GT or PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

timmer

Daemon Poster
is this my video card or my frigin power supply.
i have a 550W rosewill i think its 550 but could be 500. and of course the 6600gt.
ive recently had some problems with my pc it not starting up right and freezing befor the windows screen.
so i changed hard drives reformated and then reinstalled windows and now i get like very low frame rates in counter strike source. about 30 to 50 even with everything on medium. then i relized my processor wasnt overclocked so i overclocked that and thats when i started to have booting problems. now i think it might be my video card cause when i boot the picture freezes but windows still logs me in causei hear the friggin baudadadandn u know what i mean but i still have a black screen or a frozen windows xp screen with the blue bar stopped. and i kinda lost my cmos pin so..... i dont know what to do bout that but yea i dont htink i need it cause it had started up just fine in the previous.but could it be my psu cause the low frame rates caused by not enought power and i didnt have the gpu overclocked at 1 time. and the real problem like when it wouldnt start up fresh for a while is when i changed my setting im cs to hight and all this and then it froze and i was forced to restart.
So its not the hard drive and i dont think its the mobo but what do u guyz think. i have the latest drivers and all that preliminary bullshit completed so lets get right down to it.
if theres stuff that i havent tried like check my voltages and all that just let me know how to do so and what prgram i need and ill seee if i can get my pc to boot and check it out for u.Thanks in advance.

I'd go for a PSU.

Rosewill has a bad rep on this site (for the most part). But, then, most generic parts do.

Go with an Antec or ThermalTake PSU. Yes, there are others, but those two are dependable and affordable.

yea but are u sure that thats the problem?? i dont wanna go buy something and it not be that.cause i was getting low fps.

I'm opperating witht he assumption that you have already ruled out the simple stuff, like adware/spyware, out of date drivers, updated Direct X, defragging your hard drive, getting rid of background programs and processes, etc.

Have you tested your card in a different rig? That would rule it out immediately.

If you can't, then you have to try a new card, or an old card, or a new PSU.

I see the PSU as the cheaper alternative.

i think i have 9.0b but i dont think thats the problem cause now i toulk off the overclock and now all my desktop icons are like foreign files to my computer. they have the page with the friggin little simble on it i think u guyz know what i mean. the only things i can run is mozilla and microsoft outlook and now all my things that are supposed to start on start up dont. does this help ? and how can i test the voltages on the psu?

Bad overclock, that's all I have to say about the BSODs and freezes, you've said they occured after you fiddled with the BIOS. You either aren't giving it enough vcore, or you need to loosen your RAM timings and increase vdimm, or both. Don't do anything else until you've resolved that stability issue and have passed 24 hour prime95

If you problem persists, I'd run through memtest for a few hours. If it fails, pull out one of your chips and run it again, determine which chip is the problem and RMA it. If memtest passes, move on

Next thing you can do is reseat your video card, see if that fixes the problem.

You would probably be best off replacing the PSU since Rosewill does indeed blow hardcore, however you have a bunch of other problems with your computer that are all contributing to this one big problem. Bust out a multimeter and check your rails while under load, if they're under/overvolting 5% or more, you definetely need a new PSU

I'm not even going to ask how you managed to lose your CMOS jumper but I suggest you replace it

how do i use this multimeter? cause dont i have to test it with computer on to see if im using all of my power supply?or do i just test it with the ocmputer off i know how to do that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom