Urgent Help Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

MainEvent

Solid State Member
Well today I just installed a fresh copy of Windows XP because I had been using 64-bit and the evaluation copy ran out. This meant that my computer was shutting down about every hour or so, forcing me to either purchase 64-bit or 32-bit. I chose 32 bit and installed it and everything. So after the installation and everything, nothing seems to be working right. My soundcard isnt working properly, when I try to play music it says "There is an error with your sound device" or something like that. The internet also isnt working. The only object on the desktop is the trash can...this never happened on my previous computer when I would re-install windows. It might have been because it was just a restore disk and I guess it included everything I needed to have my computer get up and running on that disk. Well I need some help because I am totally lost on what to do now. I can get drivers and whatnot on this computer and transfer them to my other one, but would that help my soundcard or anything work? What about the internet? What do I have to do to get that up and running? Thanks for the help and sorry if this was long, but I need your help.

ok, so to start, you need to reconfigure the desktop to be more like win2k. To do this, right click the start bar, and select properties. Then select classic start menu. This will get you setup for now.
Then you need to get drivers. The problem you are having is that you don't have the needed/correct drivers for your machine. Start by listing out the hardare you have installed, and we can post links, or you can find it your self...

Good luck

Alright, heres my specs:

System Man: MSI
System: Model: MS-6702
BIOS: Version 07.00T
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+
Memory: 512MB RAM

Ive already downloaded drivers for my video card, but it says that dosent detect a soundcard for some reason. Does anyone know what thats about?

And if I could get some links to driver sites for some of that hardware, that would be great also.

Thanks alot.

How can I find out what kind of Ethernet Card and Soundcard I have so that I can download new drivers for them? Once I do that I think that they will work again. I would just try typing "dxdiag" into run, but it cant detect my soundcard or ethernet card because the drivers for them are out of date. Please someone help me figure out how to do this, it would be greatly appriciated.

have you gone to msicomputer.com and looked for the drivers there? it's all integrated right?

You need to do a complete format, not just a reinstall ontop of XP 64bit. Download a bootdisk from www.bootdisk.com and format it, then make a partition and install XP and your problems shouls go away. Download Windows 98 bootdisk

Ok, ive found out what they are...here it is.

I have a Realtek RTL8169 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter and a VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Contoller.

If anyone could help me find drivers for either of these, that would be great...thanks alot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom