Extra 8 MB Unused Partition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Inaris said:
Just to clear this up for everyone, This is what MS says...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;225822
read the link before you read more!!

The 8mb has nothing to do with the MBR. Since the MBR is at the front of the disk, the 8mb can't be used for it as it's at the end.

good luck

Exactly.

EricB, what are you arguing?

Of course the MBR is at the beginning of the drive. We're not saying that it's not, we are saying that the 8MB partition is NOT the MBR.

EricB said:
the 8 unused portion of your hard drive is the boot sector. it included among other things a partition table, and a mbr. it also has the ability to control your computer if something is put in it (a boot virus, or MS locking your computer when they want to(they will put something in that partition table since it is unused). that was something that they were doing 2-3 years ago, they are not reallly doing it now, unless you have a key that is on the blackballed key list. now, by locking your computer, I mean that you will lose function to 75% of your computer)

read. also that 512kb MBR part is either the front piece or the last piece of the hard drive

twstokes said:
Exactly.

EricB, what are you arguing?

Of course the MBR is at the beginning of the drive. We're not saying that it's not, we are saying that the 8MB partition is NOT the MBR.

add 7.8 (partition table) + .512 (mbr) mb and round it off. 8 mb

I'm done with this stupid thread

The MBR and partition table are not housed in that space. Since the space is at the end of the drive, and the MBR is at the front, they can't be the same. that aside, the mbr is not somthing you can see in the formating of the drive. It's before that. it's localted in a special space that is used by the bios, not the OS, and not anything else. The 8mb as I stated and linked above is for dynamic disks and nothing more.

if you want more proof I can get it for you.

Good luck.

to the posters question about dynamic disks, here is a link for you...
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/.../gloss_rk_pro.asp?frame=true#gls_dynamic_disk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom