496 MB RAM displayed...SHOULD BE 512. Does this mean that actual ram is less than 512

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rawan AbuSalman

Daemon Poster
Hi...
When I right click in MY COPMPUER on my new Fijitsu-Siemens Laptop...it sais 1.7 GHZ 496 MB of RAM...
It should be 512...(that was the system specs when we purhcased it)

Does this mean that hte actual ram is less than 512 or what??? or is it 512 but it displays 496??/ (Also, at startup in BIOS it sais 496 mb)

Another question...can the ram of a laptop be upgraded? Is there a risk that it might cause disfuncionality or harm to any device installed in the latptop? And does the RAM brand name have to be the same as that installed in it?? or can it be anything?

Thanx

Your intergrated graphics are using memory.

512 - 496 = 16 meg intergrated video card

oh...thanx...so that means that it is 512 mb...

Can I upgrade my RAM by intsalling another stick? will it affect anything?

Yeah you can add more ram IF you have another ram slot. Alot of real small laptops like mine only have one slot :mad:

Also, your stating your laptop specs a bit wrong.
It's not a pentium 4 for starters.
And it's a 1.7 GHz Mobile Pentium.

Centrino is a combination of a Intel Mobile processor, Intel WiFi and Intel Motherboard.

thank you for your reply...

and thanx for pointing out my sysytem specs...ill fix them :)

So if it has an extra slot...i can install any brand name ram and it will be added to the existing one (512)

Is there any risk of this not working or of harming anything? because I heard that notebooks are soo tightly and accuratly made that it is nearly impossible to add or upgrade anything (internally)... I dont knwo where I read it...but is it true??

Thanx

How can I know what the kind of the RAM is?
And doesnt it work if I get a 256mb one (I already have 512) to total up to to 768mb) Should be of the same speed or faster??

And what do you mean by "possiblly" you can upgrade the HD?? But if I want to upgrade it, I will have to replace the existing one right? Or can I simply add one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom