System won't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackmoore

Daemon Poster
My PC won't boot into Windows XP. I was using the computer late one night, everything was working fine, and I went to bed. The next morning I got up, and and the system booted fine, and then I got the blue screen of death, telling me that there was corrupted data on the system, and that the system was shutting down to protect itself. Now when I boot the system, it doesn't even fully boot into Windows, it just flashs blue and shuts down. The only odd thing I did the night before my PC screwed up, was I installed the uGURU utility for my Abit board. Today, I got up, and tried to format, and Re-Install Windows XP Pro, and its telling me that it can't recognize any hard-drives. Now I know you need SATA Drivers, to run an SATA drive, but there were installed, and the system was running fine for months and months, and the systems doesn't recognize my drives? Did I blow my motherboard? Or do I have a bad hard-drive, or what? This is driving me nuts. Did the uGURU utility some how mess with the BIOS?

Well, im going to try to get the SATA Drivers on a CD, and then re-install them. If that doesn't work, its either the hard-drive or the motherboard.

Blackmoore said:
tried to format, and Re-Install Windows XP Pro, and its telling me that it can't recognize any hard-drives. Now I know you need SATA Drivers, to run an SATA drive, but there were installed, and the system was running fine for months and months, and the systems doesn't recognize my drives?

Okay, the reason your drivers that you have installed arn't working, is because those drivers are in windows, after your system gets past the POST and boot sequence, THEN it shifts itself over to Windows (notice that's when you crash). So, you are going to have to use that floppy that came with the motherboard, and hit F6 when the Windows XP PRO install screen (blue one) opens up, when everything is finished loading, it will prompt u to look in that floppy for the drivers. The rest you will get easy.

Well the thing is, that floppy that came with my Abit Board never worked. I remember I had to get the raid drivers, and put them on a floppy, I just don't know which drivers I used. Cause the SATA drivers on Abit's site are way to big to put on a floppy.

Well I found the current VIA Raid Drivers for my Chipset, and still nothing works. I popped in the old supplied by Abit disk and hit F6 when the prompt comes up, and it gives me an error, saying some file isn't found. So I downloaded the new drivers, version 1.33, as apposed to version 1.30 that came with my board, and it comes up with another error, and can't install the drivers. So im thinking I should remove the existing Raid drivers, by hitting tab just before it boots the Windows Install disk, but if I do that I may not be able to get the drivers to install again, since im already having problems with them. If that doesn't work im throwing this board in the trash and getting a new one, because SATA on this Abit KV8 Pro board has given me more trouble then its worth. I am usually happy with all of Abit's products, but I have never had this much trouble trying to get an SATA Drive installed in my life.

It sounds like Windows XP has been corrupted somehow. Try deleting the program, then running it again. Then you should be able to log in to your desktop and stuff. You might lose some data, but its better than having no computer if you know what i mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom