Windows Speech and language bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitaloracle

Daemon Poster
Just recently, I was on my machine, doing nothing really special (all I had really done was install UT2K4 and and started the horror that is steam), when I noticed that the language bar (that sits next to the system tray) was present, along with speech recognition, or some form of audio input. I got rid of it, but I wonder where it came from. Also, while investigating the problem, I opned up the control panel "Speech" and my system began behaving strangely. First, the control panel did not open for a very long time, in excess of 5 min without any disk activity. Second, I had closed steam, and I now opened it again, and nothing happned, so I attempted to open it again, and was notified that steam was already running. Finally, the Speech panel appeared, but when I tried to go to the second tab in it, that panel crashed (bacame unresponsive. I now tried to play a sond in winamp while I waited for the controlpanel to resolve whatever issues it was having, but Winamp refuesed to play anything, and even refused to close. I killed that. I then attempted to kill the Speech panel., but it refued to die. I tried to reboot, but the system simply sat there, without stopping any programs, or showing any indication fo activity. I wqas forced to hard reboot it.

What happened here? I did encounter this annoying language bar on another installation of windows, perhpas it was after installing UT, I don't know.

Turns out that UT installed some program called Speech Redist. I think that might be the source of my problem and have removed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom