XP Pro and DSL/Cable Modem

Status
Not open for further replies.
The error is: The system cannot log you on now as the XXX Domain is not available". If the user enters CTRL+ALT+DEL, it just kicks them back to the same prompt.

are the profiles cached in document and settings actually on the machine? have the profiles been removed from the registry? the issue sounds like they have lost the profile data that they had. Be it from the registry paths, or the actual NTuser.dat file or the entire folder for their profile...

No, the profile was left on the PC so they could log on and have all their shortcuts, etc. left. No profiles were removed because another site support person can log on with her username and password just fine. This profile still exists since we can log on fine as the user when we have the PC in our office.

These PCs were deployed 90 days ago so is there something in the registry that would stop them from logging on after so many days without a domain? PLEASE HELP! I'm feeling the heat!!

finally found the answer for you... This should explain the problem... I hope.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tr...technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/proddocs/579.asp

Run Gpedit.msc to find this info on the machine. The full location is referenced in the linked page.

I think you might be better off using local machine accounts and then havning them logon using their domain accounts when they need to gain access to the network. Seems like the only way to get around this...

I did find this post on Microsoft, but it refers to the number of distinct users that can log on with cached information. There was a correction if you pull it up by article number. In this case, 5 different users can log on to the PC and the 6th person would be refused access to the PC. Thank you.

More it is refering to the number of times a user can log on with cached credentials without a DC being present. I think this is what you are hitting. Not the number of people.

My bad, I miss read the article. Again for that matter. I will keep looking as this is interesting to me. We are starting a deployment of XP machines on an NT4 domain as I write this, so maybe it's something I will see.

New developments:
It appears that some of these user's passwords expired. XP only notifies you once that your password will expire in 14 days and then never again. If the password expires, the user is denied access using the cached credentials. This is a suspicion and I will try to test that next week.
Also, under article 175468, there is a fix for the computer account that we have sent to several users to try. This may not be the solution given the issue with the password issue. Again, we are testing it to see if it works or not. If not, we will have a flood of remote users that cannot log on at all.

I do have some new developments and it does NOT include the guy above. I finally sucked it up and called Microsoft. This is a known bug in XP when you have an NT domain. There is a fix that you need to request from them: KB824302. What XP does is flush the cached profile if the user does not change their password before it expires on the domain. This fix will prevent XP from flushing the cached profile. I hope this helps anyone else who is having this issue or may encounter it in the future. Thanks to all who tried to help!

Thanks for the followup posting. This could become an issue with our setup as we are using XP workstations and still running an NT4.0 domain...

Thanks man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom